Gas cap????

/ Gas cap???? #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
Lost my gas cap the other day. I guess it twisted off while dealing with some brush. The local dealer did not have one so I grabbed a universal one at the auto parts store. It had to go to the dealer for another issue the next day. They claimed it is slow to start now and is showing a code indicating a fuel delivery problem. Is a gas cap a gas cap or does the Kioti one have some sort of magic Pixie dust?

/ Gas cap???? #2  
It depends if the Kioti fuel cap is vented. an automotive fuel cap is not vented so as to pull a vacuum in the tank. My DK55 fuel cap is vented.

/ Gas cap???? #3  
And Messmaker - that's FUEL cap :)

One of my work buddies would constantly call the fuel cap on a rental VW TDI a gas cap, until the day he pumped about 5 gallons of GAS into it. He topped it off with diesel when he realized his mistake. It was hard to start.
Four of us guys would jump up and down on the bumpers to get the fuel to slosh around and he got it started.

/ Gas cap???? #4  
I don't think my Kubota fuel cap is vented. My fuel tank is vented.

/ Gas cap???? #5  
My wife's rates are pretty good. She found my lost fuel cap (Kioti) 😁 I felt really stupid for losing it (and for not being able to find it).

I believe that the venting of the tank IS via the fuel cap. I seem to recall that there are a couple small holes on the underside/inside of the fuel cap. Although not definitive for proof, my original fuel cap was allowing rainwater to get inside my fuel tank (causing water-in-fuel light, which, of course, was exactly what was happening- I was draining water out of my fuel filter!); a replacement cap, much higher quality (dual keyed sides vs single, if this is any true indicator of a newer/better revision), has resulted in no such issues (after many years).

I've had many TDIs in the family and I am quite thankful I've never encountered anyone putting gasoline into any of them! A neighbor had one of their cousins put gasoline in one of their tractors (poor supervision).

Last edited:
   / Gas cap???? #6  
I have been running an automotive gas cap without drama on my NX for six years. Had it freeze up once but that happens up here with everything.

/ Gas cap????
Reg gas cap did not work. It was non vented and caused all kinds of issues.