Gasoline in a Transfer Tank??

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank?? #1  

crreed67

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
I bought this tank, https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...liquid-storage-tank/73055/p-1444438475238.htm, mine is white, to use for storing diesel but my question is....Other than the obvious labeling that is missing, why is this NOT safe for use with gasoline? I thought I would fill it and keep it in my garage, away from my house, to fuel my lawn mower. I go through about 80 gallons a summer and this with a pump(gasoline) would be so much easier than packing around 5 gallon cans. I've seen the ones that are rated for gasoline and other than being aluminum I see no difference. Would it really be that unsafe to use as a gasoline holding tank or are the manufacturers just covering their hind ends?

3-2-22 (2).jpg

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank?? #2  
Venting and amount of gasoline that you're allowed ti carry at any point in your area. Aluminum is used due to not sparking issue! Gasoline is flammable were diesel is combustible. Big difference between the two types of fuel. That why I can carry 100 transfer tank full of diesel on my truck but would be put under the jail if it was gasoline! All steel gasoline tanks must be double walled with proper vent cap and also bolted to vehicle due to grounding of the tank, cannot be portable in that size. Check DOT and local regulations for more information.

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank?? #3  
Gasoline doesn’t last very long is one problem. Gasoline is much more volatile than diesel is the main problem. Diesel barley lights with a cigarette lighter.

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank?? #5  
Gasoline doesn’t last very long is one problem. Gasoline is much more volatile than diesel is the main problem. Diesel barley lights with a cigarette lighter.
I think gas has just as good of a shelf life as diesel. I've left a tractor in the field for 2-3 years, went out and fired it up. Same with cars.

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank??
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just keep lugging around 5 gal cans. A far as it going bad I figured I could just pump whatever is left come winter into my pickup and start with new gas in the spring. I was just hoping someone had already done this with no problems.

/ Gasoline in a Transfer Tank??
This company sells both diesel only and gasoline/multi fuel tanks. Some are over 100 gallons. They meet DOT requirements.

and some fuel regulations

It seems like the tanks rated for gasoline are about twice the cost for some reason abd I can't seem to find out what the difference is?