GC 2310TLB Steering

/ GC 2310TLB Steering #1  

Mattmotors

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2310 TLB
Hi , I have a 2007 MF 2310 TLB. Great Machine. I have a question about the hydraulic fluid. I had the tech come out and do a 300 hour service. Basically fluid and filters. Tech never drained the the front axel, just the transmission. He said it's all connected together. Is there any truth to this or are they 2 separate systems? Should the front end have been drained also? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

/ GC 2310TLB Steering #2  
Are you inquiring about the steering cylinder or the front axle?

Steering is all the same system.

Front axle is totally separate fluid from hydraulics.

/ GC 2310TLB Steering #3  
Wow, a 15 year old machine with 300 hours. You might want to get the front axle fluid changed out. Lift up the front end so the front axle swings free. Easiest way to get all the old fluid out. The fill plug is plastic, take it easy tightening it.

/ GC 2310TLB Steering #4  
What oldnslo said. Axle requires draining/re-filling separately, but steering is part of the main hydraulic system. There are two axle drains, at the bottom on the rear, but only one fill plug on the top of the left side.

FILL PLUG front axle fill plug.JPG

DRAIN PLUG fr. axle-3.JPG

/ GC 2310TLB Steering
Actually , it was a 300 hour service done at 600 hours. At 300 hours I know the front axel was done but at 600 hours I know it was not. The Tech came to the house.
So from what I gather here, The steering is part of the of the main hydraulic system. The front axel is separate from the main system. Thanks for all your help Guys!

/ GC 2310TLB Steering #6  
the front axle and its steering system (you'll never have to service this on its own) use same fluid as rest of hydro system but in no way/shape/or form is the axle interconnected. steering is interconnected, axle is not.
the steering system is however.
so there may be terminology issue here in this post.
but to simplify....you see a line from your front axle (this does NOT mean steer cylinder) to hydro system?
no you do not. same fluid in axle. not at all connected to rest of system.

edit:had post open for a bit but had to walk away before I could respond. see the org poster caught the term issue and responded knowing the steer system and front axle are 2 distinct items.

Last edited:
   / GC 2310TLB Steering #7  
Front axle interval is every 600hrs, after the first 50.

The technician telling you they are "interconnected" is conclusive proof he is either incompetent, or a liar. This is risk you take.

The next question is, what else did he do improperly?

The old adage, if you want something done right, strikes again.