GC1720 Steering problem

/ GC1720 Steering problem #1  

LPowell1

Tractor
MF GC1720, 1973 Cub Cadet model 128
My GC1720 (219 hours, 3 yrs) has developed a steering problem. It does not turn as sharply to the left, and the steering wheel has little resistance when the wheels reach full left or right turn position. I can easily continue to turn the steering wheel.
The fluid appears at proper level in left hub, the right hub is total full.
I did not notice this problem prior to my tilling a food plot two days ago. It is a 4 ft Woods tiller purchased with the tractor, and used for garden and food plots since the purchase, so nothing unusual during the last use.

Has anyone had this problem, and what was the diagnosis/fix? Any other ideas?

I will be contacting my local dealer, hoping if it may be covered under the 5 yr warranty.

Thanks,
LPowell1

/ GC1720 Steering problem #2  
That's not something I have heard about.

Please let us know, when you find out what it is.

/ GC1720 Steering problem
I will update when I know more.
It may be next week, as I will be helping a neighbor dairy farmer with cutting silage. He just came home from serious cancer surgery and cutting starts this week.

/ GC1720 Steering problem #4  
Did you check mounts for the steering RAM? Does steering itself feel
looser in both directions, or just one?
Any leaks around the Steering RAM?
Does it make any noise like in relief when turned past a certain point?

/ GC1720 Steering problem #5  
orbital valve?

Did you check mounts for the steering RAM? Does steering itself feel
looser in both directions, or just one?
Any leaks around the Steering RAM?
Does it make any noise like in relief when turned past a certain point?
Mounts seem fine. No leaks.
Steering is loose both directions, no change in the motor or noise when the wheel is turned past a certain point, and minimum resistance to turning when wheels reach the max turn radius.

I dropped the tractor at my dealer this afternoon, fortunately he is only 8 miles country drive away. Probably will be next week before they can begin to work on it. It is a busy time for them as it is hay/silage/fall prep time all happening here, so a constant load of machinery for repair.

I will update when I here what they find.

Anyone know if the steering is covered under the MF 5y Powertrain warranty?

Mounts seem fine. No leaks.
Steering is loose both directions, no change in the motor or noise when the wheel is turned past a certain point, and minimum resistance to turning when wheels reach the max turn radius.

I dropped the tractor at my dealer this afternoon, fortunately he is only 8 miles country drive away. Probably will be next week before they can begin to work on it. It is a busy time for them as it is hay/silage/fall prep time all happening here, so a constant load of machinery for repair.

I will update when I here what they find.

Anyone know if the steering is covered under the MF 5y Powertrain warranty?
I just talked to the dealer maintenance manager.
The steering piston rod is bent, allowing leakage by the cylinder seals. The cylinder will have to be replaced. I likely hit a small stump working on a deer feed plot, or working on a new trail for my wife to walk in our woods.
Not covered by the 5 year warranty, so I am going to be out a chunk of cash. High priced deer meet.
And at least 2 more weeks lead time on the cylinder delivery.

Thanks for the replies, and hope this reminds all to be careful of the low clearance.

Retail Rems makes a skid plate that for the MF Subcompacts to protect the rear area, covers the hydraulic filter and cooling fan. I installed it about a year ago, fits great and has probably saved me from damaging those parts. Mark also makes other GC series accessories, great quality.

/ GC1720 Steering problem #8  
Really sorry to hear that.

Yes, these tractors are tough. But they are actually designed as an "estate tractor", with simple property maintenance in mind. So, for those who like to go Baja'ing in the woods, keep in mind it could get ugly.

/ GC1720 Steering problem #9  
Not that I don't trust dealers...but I don't trust dealers. I don't have my GC1720 in front of me but changing that steering cylinder is easy. Unless I'm missing something, you remove the two cheesy mounting plates on each side, disconnect the rod end fitting, disconnect the two hoses and reverse the process to install the new cylinder, then top off the hydraulic fluid. If they want to charge you much over an hour's labor I'd question them about it.

/ GC1720 Steering problem #10  
steering wheel has little resistance when the wheels reach full left or right turn position. I can easily continue to turn the steering wheel.
this is what bugs me about all of this, not turning as sharp one way easily explained by bent steering cylinder however the no resistance at the stops bugs me.