Gear oil with brakes ZD21

/ Gear oil with brakes ZD21 #1  

mchild

I have an older ZD21 zero turn mower that has an oil leak at the cover for the left side brake actuator arm. After removing the cover I realized that there is a fair amount of gear oil in the area of the brake drum and shoes. Is this area supposed to have oil in it or is it supposed to be dry. If it is supposed to be dry can the seal that is immediately behind the brake drum be replace from the brake drum side of the large drive gear cover it is installed in or does the entire drive gear assembly have to be opened up to access it?

I have attached the exploded view of the parts assembly with part 080 being the subject seal. While the picture shows the seal on the inside of the drive gear cover, upon inspection it does look assessable from the outside (brake drum side) of the cover. The shaft that passes through the seal and drives the brake drum is not snug or tight to the seal (which may be the reason there is gear oil on the brake drum side of the cover).

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Attachments

• ZD21.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 239
   / Gear oil with brakes ZD21 #2  
The brakes should be a dry area, so I would suspect that seal. I think you can change it from the outside, but not 100% sure.

/ Gear oil with brakes ZD21
The brakes should be a dry area, so I would suspect that seal. I think you can change it from the outside, but not 100% sure.

Thanks KT. I took the other side apart and found it totally dry so I figured that was the way it was supposed to be. I only have the exploded view pics from the parts listings and it shows the seal being set from the other side (inside) of the gear housing. I can probably tell once I actually have a new seal in hand. This is a job that will have to wait until after the cutting season.