Glow plug question

/ Glow plug question #1  

pmmully

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L48 TLB
My glow plug light is on all the time. The dealer I bought it from used with ~1750 hours said not to worry about it. I realize it could be the controller, but I guess it could also be the plugs themselves. I found no mention of service life on them in the user manual. Living in the Southeast, cold it not too much of a problem. How long do the glow plugs last?

/ Glow plug question #2  
If the glow plugs are energized all the time there's a excellent possibility they're already burned out. They are not intended for continuous use. It's also possible only the indicator is on all the time and the glow plugs are receiving no power. You have a problem which needs addressed.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Glow plug question #3  
Regardless of glowplug life you do NOT want the plugs on all the time. Probably burn out the plugs (if it hasn't already) and who knows what other maladies. No,it cannot be the plugs themselves; they're simple strips of metal incapable of causing anything other than heat when voltage is applied causing current through them. Tell the dealer you bought it from he is WRONG and you are worried about it and he has at least a moral duty to look into it. If he refuses, put a voltmeter on the bus to the plugs. See if it shows voltage relative to ground. Have someone hold the leads (or use clip leads) while you actuate the glow plug control with the key and see if the voltage comes on when it should. If that works correctly (zero volts until the plugs are intentionally activated) then you have a indicator problem of some kind. Still the dealer should be helpful rather than shrugging it off. Not sure about your machine but you can probably take each glow plug out and test it for continuity using an ohm meter. It shopuld read nearly a dead short if OK and open if burned out.
If you do not have a volt/ohm meter buy one. Simple ones can be had for around $10 to $15 and are useful for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
   / Glow plug question #4  
My glow light was coming on, maybe going off, maybe not. Engine started fine. I read about it on OTT and TBN - symptom set seemed to point to the controller. Good guess because a new one cured it.

I bought one that was around $70 - I see they are all over the map now - some around $35, some over $200 - list here.

page from K's parts list: old and new type use same part - fits a lot of models.

L48 glow controller.jpg

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Glow plug question
Regardless of glowplug life you do NOT want the plugs on all the time. Probably burn out the plugs (if it hasn't already) and who knows what other maladies. No,it cannot be the plugs themselves; they're simple strips of metal incapable of causing anything other than heat when voltage is applied causing current through them. Tell the dealer you bought it from he is WRONG and you are worried about it and he has at least a moral duty to look into it. If he refuses, put a voltmeter on the bus to the plugs. See if it shows voltage relative to ground. Have someone hold the leads (or use clip leads) while you actuate the glow plug control with the key and see if the voltage comes on when it should. If that works correctly (zero volts until the plugs are intentionally activated) then you have a indicator problem of some kind. Still the dealer should be helpful rather than shrugging it off. Not sure about your machine but you can probably take each glow plug out and test it for continuity using an ohm meter. It shopuld read nearly a dead short if OK and open if burned out.
If you do not have a volt/ohm meter buy one. Simple ones can be had for around $10 to $15 and are useful for the rest of your life.

I have all the right stuff to diagnose just about this whole machine other than a good hydraulic testing kit. I will chase this down. I also had a 3rd function installed by an actual Kubota dealer and they did not mention it either. I think I will go through the whole system. It just takes time to learn where to look :).

Yesterday, the light was flickering on/off, my guess is it a goofy controller.

My 5.9 Cummins in the boat does not have glow plugs. In the warmer climates, do they make glow plug "plugs" to remove the whole system?

/ Glow plug question #6  
I have all the right stuff to diagnose just about this whole machine other than a good hydraulic testing kit. I will chase this down. I also had a 3rd function installed by an actual Kubota dealer and they did not mention it either. I think I will go through the whole system. It just takes time to learn where to look :).

My 5.9 Cummins in the boat does not have glow plugs. In the warmer climates, do they make glow plug "plugs" to remove the whole system?
Sorry, I do not know if they make glow plug plugs to get rid of the feature. I doubt it.

/ Glow plug question #7  

The flickering could also be caused by glow plugs that are in the process of burning out. It is easy to check at the glow plug with a VOM to see if it is getting electricity when the controller says it is.

I can't imagine why a dealer would say not to worry, but if you are in doubt, just disconnect the wires at the glow plug. Then you know they are working as a plug, not as a glow plug. Insulate the ends of the wires so that they can't touch anything if the controller tries to turn them on.

Glow plugs aren't necessary to start all engines. They give some help starting in real cold weather or with worn engines. In warm weather or engines with full compression - or both - I don't think they make any difference.
rScotty

/ Glow plug question
I will be looking into it for sure. You have the
The flickering could also be caused by glow plugs that are in the process of burning out. It is easy to check at the glow plug with a VOM to see if it is getting electricity when the controller says it is.

I can't imagine why a dealer would say not to worry, but if you are in doubt, just disconnect the wires at the glow plug. Then you know they are working as a plug, not as a glow plug. Insulate the ends of the wires so that they can't touch anything if the controller tries to turn them on.

Glow plugs aren't necessary to start all engines. They give some help starting in real cold weather or with worn engines. In warm weather or engines with full compression - or both - I don't think they make any difference.
rScotty
You have the short-term fix right there, just disconnect them. It will NOT surprise me if that has already been done/