Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!!

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #1  

Highbeam

Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
"I am afraid you are mistaken Highbeam, on all your numerical counts."

Thanks for the personal attack. I think you're a fool too, so we're even.

"Hitch is rated for 10,000, which is quite a bit more than 3x the trailer's empty weight."

True, but the receiver is not rated for 10,000 lbs without WD now is it? Open your eyes and look. You can't just look at the few ratings you are within. I call this bliss ignorance.

"Truck towing capacity numbers are wrong too"
Seems I have nearly the same truck. A Z71 which means half ton 4x4 plus a couple of other goodies. What numbers are wrong? I would like to know.

"You should check your facts before blowing off like that"
Again, I think you are a fool.

Further, I think you are one of those people who will just look at a truck/trailer combo and think it is fine, talking out of your keester. You seem to know what a WD setup does, you are just too thick headed to know you need one. As your posts go on, it looks like you are shifting though.

To stay within ratings, you need WD. You don't need to be within your ratings but that needs to be a choice made by an informed person and the general TBN member may see that non-WD hitch and think they can do it too.

Your head is in the sand Seasalt. The hitch style you chose is not appropriate for a moderate to heavy load as in more than just empty.

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( True, but the receiver is not rated for 10,000 lbs without WD now is it? Open your eyes and look. You can't just look at the few ratings you are within. I call this bliss ignorance. )</font>

Highbeam,

When I buy my next trailer, I fully intend to get one that's beyond the capabilities of my truck. I think it's the smart thing to do if you can afford it. As Seasalt mentioned, his next truck (and mine too!) will have more towing capacity. I don't see a thing wrong with that.

We have to give people credit for being smart enough to not overload. Any truck-trailer combo can be overloaded!

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!!
That's not the point. The trailer/truck combo as shown with that hitch is the problem. Long before the truck or trailer is overloaded, that hitch system will be overlaoded. The 10k hitch will be fine but the receiver will be beyond its limits due to the weight bearing design of that hitch. It is a major oops that sets a bad example.

My trailer can be loaded beyond the capability of my truck. I agree that's a great idea to overbuy in the trailer category for many reasons but it is foolish to then skimp with the hitch to the point of being overloaded before any of the obvious truck or trailer ratings are exceeded.

It is a nice hitch. In the right receiver it will be fine for 10k lbs. Just not the OEM GM hitch on a half ton.

My next truck will also have more capacity but until then I plan to tow fully aware of any overloadings. Yes, I actually put my truck on scales.

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #4  
I missed the part where seasalt said he had an "OEM GM hitch"

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #5  
A Z71 comes standard with a hitch. Also, regardless if it was standard or not, ALL GM 1/2 ton trucks have a 5000# dead weight towing limit. I have been trying to find it in an internet link but have not been able to. I can find in a number of places that GM has it published but I do not have an easy way and I have to question if I can legally replublish it if I could scan it.

This even includes the 06 VortecMax with a tow capacity in the range 10,000#+ has a dead weight capacity of 5000#.

BTW.
I do not work for GM, but a contracting company that does work for GM. If you ask me professionally if you can exceed the ratings, then NO. If you ask me if I ever exceed the ratings, then YES. If I knew that somebody exceeded the ratings then I would have to side with ANY manufacturer that your warrenty should be voided if the cause of failure was even possibly due to the improper use.

Please no flames on that last statement. I call em as I see em. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kurt