Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST #1  

Lakeport

Tractor
John Deere 4600, John Deere 4052R
I picked up a JD 4600 this summer (I already had one and just wanted a familiar spare) and it runs pretty well (1400 hours) but in high range in reverse the HST really groans and doesn't have much power. Lower ranges seem to be fine, and high range in forward seems to be fine. I haven't yet drained the hydraulics or changed the filter (it appears to be recently serviced) Any thoughts on why this may be happening. I'd hate to change the fluid with the expensive HyGard and filter and such only to have to drain it again to split the tractor to repair something in the hydraulics. My other 4600 HST that I'm in the process of overhauling (5000 hours), the HST works flawlessly. On that tractor I had some difficult to repair due to the location engine oil leaks and just decided to overhaul it due to the hours.

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST #2  
My older 2k series JD would get loud if the fluid level was even slightly low.
If fluid level good the first step is cleaning out strainer and changing filter and of course getting gouged for HyGard...

It is possible if it's really shrieking at you it could be the relief valve meaning an obstruction somewhere. I would start with the filters though

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST
I will tear it down including the strainer. Wondering if I should use the low viscosity Hygard in it. I live in Michigan after all, and I don't really use it for much pulling or pushing, mostly just moving hay and some pallet fork work. If I use the bucket it's for light duty since I also have a backhoe and dozer.

I suppose if it still makes noise after changing all the filters and fluid I can drain the Hygard into a clean container and use it again if I have to split it and replace some parts.

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST #5  
So this may seem stupid but.. check brakes? Drum brakes don’t always ‘drag’ the same in both directions and its possible that with the extra torque in the lower ranges you’re just not noticing the brakes may always be dragging in reverse. Id jack up the back and see how the tires feel by hand to rule out a brake adjustment/problem.

So this may seem stupid but.. check brakes? Drum brakes don’t always ‘drag’ the same in both directions and its possible that with the extra torque in the lower ranges you’re just not noticing the brakes may always be dragging in reverse. Id jack up the back and see how the tires feel by hand to rule out a brake adjustment/problem.
That will be one of the things I check!

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST #7  
Based on your description I would also have you pull the high pressure relief valve for the reverse direction out of the hydro and inspect. You may have a piece of contamination partially holding open the valve. In the lower ranges the system pressure is also lower so a high pressure leak isn’t as obvious. This could also explain why you don’t experience this in the forward direction because that is a different high pressure relief valve.

Based on your description I would also have you pull the high pressure relief valve for the reverse direction out of the hydro and inspect. You may have a piece of contamination partially holding open the valve. In the lower ranges the system pressure is also lower so a high pressure leak isn’t as obvious. This could also explain why you don’t experience this in the forward direction because that is a different high pressure relief valve.
Thank you. I'm guessing this requires splitting the tractor?

/ Groaning sound in reverse in 4600 HST #9  
Maybe, sometimes you can access them without. Do you happen to have a tech manual for the tractor?

If not, those valves are really right under the seat but you have to access them from the front direction. I don’t know if Deere put in any access holes in their tunnel.

I took a picture of the layout and have attached it. The fwd and rev valves are circled in red. I don’t know which is which.

Attachments

• 6AB75FCC-B3B9-4023-8C88-B471AEA7B28A.jpeg
    6AB75FCC-B3B9-4023-8C88-B471AEA7B28A.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 44