GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today?

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today? #1  

pclausen

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5085M, Ford 1700, JD GT235
I have a 2003 GT235 with the 18HP Kawasaki twin cylinder engine. It has 891 hours on it. I'm the original owner. Looking at tractordata.com, it looks like it set me back about $5,149 back then, which sounds about right. It has the 48C mower deck.

I have been following the maintenance schedule pretty closely and it has given me 17 years of trouble free service. I have replaced all 4 tires and the seat over the years, but that's it outside of regular maintenance.

I'm thinking about upgrading some something with a larger deck, like 54" or 60" since I have been regularly expanding my lawn area, which is now several acres to where it now takes several hours to mow with this unit.

Would something like a X570 be the equivalent unit today? The max deck size appears to be 54" however and for the money, one could almost get a Z700 series, which is available with a 60" deck.

As an alternative, I could get a 54" deck for my GT235 and save a lot of money in the process. Not sure what my GT235 is worth, maybe $2,000 if I was to sell it?

What would you do if you had 4 acres to mow?

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today?
I found a 54C deck for $435 here.

It looks to be in good condition based on the pictures. I figure I can probably sell my current 48C deck for something similar, which would make it pretty cheap. The catch is that he doesn't ship and he's 900 miles away...

P.S. - It's been several years, but how did the old GMC C3500 dump truck project turn out?

Good memory! I ended up selling it for about $500 more than what I paid for it, even with the new used wheels I put on it. I still miss it sometimes, but really couldn't justify keeping it for what little need I have for a dump truck these days.

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today? #4  
Road trip. ;) I made such a trip to pick up my JD 455.. that was 10 years ago, and worth it IMO. Have not seen a low hour 455 since that find.

Tempting. My girls (ages 7 and 8) are out of school for at least the next 2 weeks due to that virus thingy. I bet lodging along the way would be pretty cheap...

Took a couple of pics of the old gal:

gt235-1.JPG

gt235-2.JPG

She looks good for her age I think. I bet with a good wash, she'd look even better!

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today? #6  
back on topic!!. nothing is made to compare to the JD GT235. you'd have to step up to a sub-compact tractor these days.. now. it's either a lawn tractor, or a sub compact tractor..

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today? #7  
I have a 2003 GT235 with the 18HP Kawasaki twin cylinder engine. It has 891 hours on it. I'm the original owner. Looking at tractordata.com, it looks like it set me back about $5,149 back then, which sounds about right. It has the 48C mower deck.

I have been following the maintenance schedule pretty closely and it has given me 17 years of trouble free service. I have replaced all 4 tires and the seat over the years, but that's it outside of regular maintenance.

What would you do if you had 4 acres to mow?

Buy some fence and a couple of goats.

/ GT235 - what's an equivalent quality/built mower today? #8  
X570 or top of the line 300 series Deere cub cadet gsx may be for you though or a cub 2500 or 3000 series but ther are no other models quite like it