Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,941  
I own a smaller "quiet" compressor from HF. It works very well and is quiet enough to talk over without really raising your voice. My wife didn't even realize it was running when we used it while working on the chicken coop build.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,943  
I also have a Predator 3500 generator... for a generator, it's amazingly quiet. So far, has worked flawlessly.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,944  
I have a Fortress 1.2 HP 135 PSI "Ultra Quiet" compressor. It is ultra quiet.
The contractor who changed my house windows has several. He swears by them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,945  
Anyone have any experience using the HF hand crank winches (like a boat trailer winch) with wire line not the strap ones, might get one for a small project to help my folks get there dock in and out.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,946  
Anyone have any experience using the HF hand crank winches (like a boat trailer winch) with wire line not the strap ones, might get one for a small project to help my folks get there dock in and out.
I hate the cable version. It is difficult to keep the cable tight when winding it up. It springs loose like a coil and then herky-jerky. Honestly, I am OCD and prefer the strap. I keep a bucket over it so it doesn't get soaked when its outside.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,947  
I hate the cable version. It is difficult to keep the cable tight when winding it up. It springs loose like a coil and then herky-jerky. Honestly, I am OCD and prefer the strap. I keep a bucket over it so it doesn't get soaked when its outside.
The problem I've found with straps is the strap degrades and breaks cause of being left out and ended up replacing the strap with wire any way on a otherwise perfectly good winch im planning to permanently mount it to a huge pine with timber-locks use it for pulling a a dock up an embankment (not lifting), I've had cable ones for 20 yrs and there still usable although I wear gloves cause of meathooks when I touch the cable, I try and put tension on it and wrap accordingly. I also looked at the price of better brand-name ones but was blown away what some are costing. trying to make removal a one or two person job not 4. but point taken thanks.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,948  
The problem I've found with straps is the strap degrades and breaks cause of being left out and ended up replacing the strap with wire any way on a otherwise perfectly good winch im planning to permanently mount it to a huge pine with timber-locks use it for pulling a a dock up an embankment (not lifting), I've had cable ones for 20 yrs and there still usable although I wear gloves cause of meathooks when I touch the cable, I try and put tension on it and wrap accordingly. I also looked at the price of better brand-name ones but was blown away what some are costing. trying to make removal a one or two person job not 4. but point taken thanks.
Yep, I get it. Personal choice.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,949  
I would get the cable winch, then replace the cable with this synthetic rope made for a small electric winch. Keep it covered.

3/16 diameter, 3000 lbs working load limit.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,950  
Yep, I get it. Personal choice.
Plus if you needed to run a pulley or snatch block for a strap they are harder to find, don't work as well and cost more imo.

Last edited: