hardfacing a loader bucket

/ hardfacing a loader bucket #1  

markct

Platinum Member
Tractor
gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader
just thought some of you might like to see some pictures of a loader bucket i have been building up at work. the bucket goes to a brand new john deere loader. the loader was bought for loading trash at a transfer station. the bucket is an oversized bucket designed just for trash, as ya can see it has a large rubber cutting edge to prevent damaging the tipping floor. the idea is that if we build it up when its new we should get many years from it without wearing into the bucket. the piece of square tubing running verticle inside the bucket is just welded in temporarily so prevent it from pulling up while welding it all

Attachments

• copestransferbucket.JPG
    copestransferbucket.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
   / hardfacing a loader bucket
heres a view of where the part where the cutting edge bolts on, the squares are 5 by 7 kenco squares, and then i cut a few down for in between the bolt holes, all welded on with the mig and then hardfaced along the front edge. once the cuttin edge is bolted on then there are little caps that i weld over the nut to keep them from loosening and wearing off

Attachments

• squarescloseup.JPG
    squarescloseup.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 639
heres a pic of the squares welded up the sides, i also ran hardface rod across the front edge to protect it

Attachments

• transferbucketsquares.JPG
    transferbucketsquares.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 560
   / hardfacing a loader bucket #4  
Cool pics.

How big is that bucket? Looks like 2 or3 yard? How many rods did you burn on that job?

jb

the bucket is a 5 yard bucket, the loader would have a 3 yard bucket on it ordinarily if it were handling dirt but this one is setup specialy for handling trash with all sortsa special gaurding and stuff to keep garbage from getting where it shouldnt. all the welding on of the squares was done with a big mig welder, dont know how much wire i used up realy, but the hardfacing was done with a stick welder and around 15lbs of 3/16 rod. took about 4 days of on and off work, weld for a while, let it cool for a while, weld for a while, let it cool for a while and so on

/ hardfacing a loader bucket #6  
5 yds? Wow, hard to judge from a picture!

You did a nice job, thanks for sharing!

jb

yea i think they consider the top part thats kinda like a spill shield to be part of the capacity, its 9ft 6in wide. the bucket is kinda designed to push more than carry, the trailers back under a hole in the floor of the building and then the trash is just pushed into the hole. but there is some lifting and handling of the trash that goes on too

heres a picture of the machine that the bucket goes on. it is a jd 544j waste handler which means it has all the extra gaurding and stuff to protect things from getting trash in them

Attachments

• jd544wastehandler.JPG
    jd544wastehandler.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 601