Haying with a Mahindra 4110. Enough horsepower?

/ Haying with a Mahindra 4110. Enough horsepower? #21  
Certainly is... Think I'd drop that head down at least another 2-3 inches. He's leaving a huge amount of forage in the field.

Had the same issue with my long gone Kubota 5030 (my screen name). Bailing wheat straw. It was fine during the heat of the day but as evening came along and the straw retained some moisture (dew), the tractor was struggling to roll a 5 foot bale. Got to the point where I had the throttle wide open to hold 54 pto.

You might want to see if you can buy a set of infeed discs that go in the bale chamber right above the sledge roll. They keep the formed bale from rubbing the side sheets excessively. The friction of the bale on the side sheets is what causes your issue. Where all the power loss is.
I guess we were trying not to leave sickle bar teeth in the old ground hog mounds! I also kind of assumed that leaving the cut a bit higher was easier for the grass to regrow, and my goats and my buddies horses don't really like stems that much? It's all my buddies hay stuff, I actually never planned on doing hay myself with my tractor and bought the small engine so I wouldn't be tempted, but then my buddy bought all the hay equipment and drags it all to my place and my neighbors, so I ended up using my tractor anyways!
We aren't really an efficient operation by any means, that old baler doesn't pickup everything and dumps out a good pile of fines with each bale, and the crimper isn't the best in the haybine... But the old stuff just seems to work without too much fuss, just a couple bearings and some chain in the few years we've run it.
Good tip on the infeed discs, that makes alot of sense, if you are going to run a baler with minimal hp. The OP can look for those if he's going to run a round baler of any size.

/ Haying with a Mahindra 4110. Enough horsepower? #22  
I guess we were trying not to leave sickle bar teeth in the old ground hog mounds! I also kind of assumed that leaving the cut a bit higher was easier for the grass to regrow, and my goats and my buddies horses don't really like stems that much? It's all my buddies hay stuff, I actually never planned on doing hay myself with my tractor and bought the small engine so I wouldn't be tempted, but then my buddy bought all the hay equipment and drags it all to my place and my neighbors, so I ended up using my tractor anyways!
We aren't really an efficient operation by any means, that old baler doesn't pickup everything and dumps out a good pile of fines with each bale, and the crimper isn't the best in the haybine... But the old stuff just seems to work without too much fuss, just a couple bearings and some chain in the few years we've run it.
Good tip on the infeed discs, that makes alot of sense, if you are going to run a baler with minimal hp. The OP can look for those if he's going to run a round baler of any size.

I meant no disrespect. High GH mounds is certainly a decent reason to leave cutter bar high.
Good to have you here and talking hay baling- THAT is what’s most important.
We all roll different ways, but we’re all makin HAY.