Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #11  
I was on the tractor all weekend, without ear protection, and I can’t hear a thing in this post.

Mark

/ Hearing protection #12  
When I began serious brush cutting last fall in tall bushes, brambles and the woods, bought a helmet with face guard for protection. I am glad I did because I got whacked many times on the head and in the face. Strongly recommend this protection for brushcutting, chainsawing and weedwhacking.

The helmet also had earmuffs. I hadnt bought it for this reason, but after I had worn them I was amazed at how much noise they cut out--and how very LOUD the tractor sounded when I did not have them on. I already have tinnitus and don't want to further risk my hearing.

Found that I didnt like wearing the helmet in warmer weather for simple mowing and hauling jobs, but still wanted hearing protection. So I bought a pair of solo hearing muffs and wear them all the time.

Like Von, I also use a radio somethimes. I have a small belt clip radio for which I bought in-ear foam earphones--the kind where the thin wires dangle down from your ears. The hearing muffs fit right over the earphones comfortably.

/ Hearing protection
We're clearly running a higher percentage of users who wear hearing protection than I would have expected. Wonder if people interested enough in tractors to find a web site like this are simply the type predisposed to also get some protective equipment to go with it. Would make sense. Would also make sense that we all probably have more power tools than the average home owner, but that's another post. I'll querry that in a day or so.
Todd

/ Hearing protection #14  
I used to get headaches after a few hours of tractoring and always attributed it to the diesel exhaust. I've started wearing hearing protection, either foam plugs of muffs and after spending all last week tractoring (what a heavenly experience), I had no headaches at all. I'm sold now.

/ Hearing protection #15  
Todd ... just like American Express .... I don't leave home without it. Wear hearing protection on the Kubota, on the lawn tractor, in the shop, while using the lawn mower, or the week whacker or any other power tool. KNow too many people that are in the mid-to-late years and have almost no hearing left .... I'll keep mine, thank you.

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Hearing protection #16  
Do I wear them... yup - all the time, every time.

Do people working around me wear them... yup (I keep several pair of "guest muffs" on hand in the shop).

My 2 yr old son even has is own pair for use while he's watching dad in the shop!

Bill