Help in identifying old farm equipment

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #1  

Chuck1946

Tractor
NA
Okay, here's the deal, I know absolutely NOTHING about farming. However, I am old enough to realize that when I need help in identifying something, I should probably ask for some, from people who know what they're doing. Any help at all would be appreciated.
I recently volunteered at a local museum (Poquoson, VA) to research the origins of some old farm equipment that they received as donations. The equipment is in "as is" condition and may not be complete.

I was successful in identifying a (mostly complete) McCormick-Deering International Sickle Bar No. 7 Mower because the manufacturer name was visible, and in the process, I learned all sorts of cool things about the Harvester Wars and how tough a life, real farmers had before farm machinery came on the scene.

I've taken several photographs of what I think is a harvester (from different angles) and am unable to locate any manufacturing marks or model numbers on the unit due to its condition.

I'd be most appreciative of any assistance that I can get, in regard to identifying this particular piece of equipment:
1. Who manufactured it?
2. When was it manufactured?
3. What did it cost?
4. How was it used?

Attachments

• Harvester1c.JPG
    Harvester1c.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 222
  • Harvester1b.JPG
    Harvester1b.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 251
  • Harvester1a.JPG
    Harvester1a.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 231
  • Harvester 1.JPG
    Harvester 1.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 245
   / Help in identifying old farm equipment #2  
I can't tell you who made it, but that is a side delivery rake.
It picks up hay that is spread across a field and deposits it in a windrow so you can go through and bale it up.

Aaron Z

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #3  
Aczlan is right. That is a side delivery hay rake. The sickle bar mower that you identified would have been used to cut the tall grass down. The grass then lays in a swath probably about 6’ wide. After a few days drying time the swaths of dry grass- now hay are raked into windrows. I suspect this particular rake originally had a long pole and was pulled by a team of 2 horses. The windrow of hay from this style of rake is very rope like. I spent many hours on a tractor in front of a rake just like this with a shortened pole helping Dad make hay.

Frank

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #4  
Is it missing a seat mounted on top of it that operator sat in while driving the horse?
Maybe not. The horse seat might of been part of the missing tongue that the rake is pulled by. May be missing as those seats are popular collectibles, or it was removed and converted to be tractor pulled.
It’s very similar to, but not, the John Deere model 594. Here’s an interesting manual and description. Shows the missing tongue, etc:
John Deere Side Delivery Rake No. 594 – Small Farmer's Journal

Last edited:
   / Help in identifying old farm equipment #5  
The hitch looks like it was horse drawn, so there should have been a seat. Our old McComick tractor pulled rake was similar but not the same.

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #6  
We called them tedders. I used a similar one for several years albeit towed behind a tractor. You could change the angle they were pulled at by locking the wheels at a different angle to shift two rows into one if the hay grass was a bit thin. I loved making hay.

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #7  
it was never horse drawn ,--it is just an old side delivery hay rake, and the one in the pic is a New-Idea brand. probably late 40's early 50's. I dont remember when New-Idea went to rubber tires on these.

/ Help in identifying old farm equipment #8  
Is this of any help?

Shows a New idea rake similar to your pictures.

[video]https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/107176-old-wheel-rakes/[/video]