/ HELP! Repowering GT275 #1  

2DeereSleds

Tractor
John Deere GT275
Here's the story:

Bought in 1998, cut 5 acres with 48" deck & 42" snowthrower

Fast Forward to 2010; Blown 17hp Kawasaki engine
HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine

I decided to go with an identical (used) 17hp Kawasaki engine, which was good until it also blew up on the weekend! 😭

Small engine warehouse won't ship across the border, and I can't find anyone up here who offers a "Repower Kit" for the GT275, so I am looking for any info about what (new) engines will fit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2DeereSleds

/ HELP! Repowering GT275 #2  
I would be asking what you are doing to fail two engines .
The old Kawasaki in my LX188 is still running after cutting 2acres weekly for 19 years. Clean air filter, clean rad/screens, 91 octane fuel and Amsoil synthetic.

/ HELP! Repowering GT275
As far as I know, there is a BIG difference between those two engines. Mine is a 17hp single cylinder, air cooled. Yours is also 17hp, but it's a twin and it's liquid cooled. If I knew it would fit, I would try to get an engine out of an LX188, but I'm not too fussy on buying another used engine, especially not knowing if it will fit or not!

I think the 17hp air cooled is getting stressed by cutting that much grass (usually twice a week) and running in the dead of winter probably isn't helping anything either. I suspect a liquid cooled engine would still be running, but who knows?

In my opinion, I've done everything right, at least everything John Deere recommends; I change the (John Deere) oil & filters in the spring & the fall, since I run straight 30 in the summer & 5w30 in the winter.

Both failures were identical; connecting rod fatigues and locks up the cylinder. These engines are all about 15 years old now, so I must be pushing my luck. Is it just a co-incidence that they don't use 17hp single air cooled Kawasaki engines any more? Probably not!

/ HELP! Repowering GT275 #4  
Here’s my ‘97 model yesterday. 6 acres since new, 3 of the 6 are pasture. Just replaced lower shaft seal and rebuilt the deck and sniffed a lot of yellow paint.

Attachments

• B75DEE74-3AAC-4197-9ED9-EF41FFFF7AB4.jpeg
    B75DEE74-3AAC-4197-9ED9-EF41FFFF7AB4.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 179
   / HELP! Repowering GT275 #6  
WOW that is one pricy replacement engine.