Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #1  

anojones

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I realize this is old hat to many of you, but I have a leak at the fittings on my CCM top link. There is a male banjo type fitting fitted into the valve on the top link and it leaks when I connect the female hose to that fitting. I'm not sure what thread type the fittings are (the hoses came from CCM as well). I searched here and used some teflon paste (actually two types, Master Plumber and Permatex) but have not used a paste directly designed for hydraulics (more $ and I can't find it local). I've cranked it as much as I dare but still have a slow leak with the tractor off and a reasonably brisk one when using the hydraulics. Any tips or tricks?

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #2  
The banjo has a copper washer under it correct? Try flipping the washer over...

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #3  
I had the same problem -- I removed the male fitting that was leaking (only one of the two leaked by the way) and installed an o-ring and tightened her back up --- leak was gone never to return so far anyhow. If I recall my conversation with CCM correctly the block that the fittings are installed in has BSP threads and the fitting adapts those to NPT --- I think anyhow.

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak
Well- after using some inexpensive teflon paste and some expensive Loctite 545 thread sealant I still had a leak at the fitting that connects to the hose (NPT). I ended up carefully using some teflon tape, avoiding the top two threads, and it has stopped. I think it was a combination of the NPT threads and me tightening/lossening the thing a few times trying to get the leak to stop. It would be nice to have a tapered or o-ring fitting.

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #5  
loctite blue is the way to go I've heard.

Most things I have use teflon tape. It purportedly can have problems, my solution is to only put it on the side closest to the hose, if that makes sense, thus keeping it out of the flow.

I also try to time it with a hydro change, so even if I get junk in the oil its dumped

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #6  
BSPP male fittings are supposed to be supplied with an O-ring that is captured by a crush washer.. I cannot see how a properly supplied fitting properly installed can leak. No sealant should be necessary.
I went 3/8 BSPP male to 1/4 JIC male as seen here..

9002 | SAE 37? Flare (JIC) x BSPP

from Tompkins however... #6500-4-6

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak
The fitting is actually a BSPP to pipe thread adapter- it's the pipe thread adapter portion that was leaking. I could probably have a hose made up with a BSPP male end and a quick connect for the rear remotes and that would solve the problem as well.

/ Help with CCM top link Fitting Leak #8  
For tapered pipe threads I used Permatex Hydraulic Sealant.. Pricey stuff, but I had no leaks..
I'll have enough for the rest of my life... and probably pass it on to my heirs...