help with Fordson ID

/ help with Fordson ID #1  

MF25

Tractor
Fergy TE20, Iseki T5000, Fordson lawn ornament
hiya folks... well spring is here in aussie so i thought id have a go at making the old fordson look more complete..

fordson 01.jpg

clearly in need of a little love..

fordson 04.jpg

once we dug through the weeds a bit we had more...

fordson 19.jpg

fordson 20.jpg

yes the fuel tank is on upside down... to stop it filling with rain... :laughing:

anyhoo.... id be keen to know what model it is... heres pics of the numbers i can find on it..

written on the head...

fordson 07.jpg

block left hand side...

fordson 23.jpg

dealers plate..

fordson 24.jpg

and the ford/fordson area in front of the driver....

fordson 26.jpg

cheers all.. MF25

Last edited:
   / help with Fordson ID
   / help with Fordson ID #4  
I've done some reading on Wikipedia; "The Fordson E27N Major was based on the Fordson N, and made in England from 1945, having the same engine and transmission as the Model N, but in a new casing which allowed for a PTO and a hydraulic lift unit manufactured by either Smiths or Varley. The differential however was of completely new design.

For the first time Fordson owners could purchase a tractor from the dealer fully equipped with 3PL, PTO, full electrics and an adjustable-width front axle, allowing the tractor to work row-crops. Available in many different versions, one such as the crawler conversion made by County, and the half-tracked version by Roadless. from 1948 onwards the Perkins P6(TA) could be ordered fitted from the factory, giving the tractor a 45 hp power unit, and improving on the design that was let down by the under-powered petrol/TVO engine.

The E27N was a popular Machine with Australian farmers, setting the way for large sales of the New Major (E1A)." [underlining & bolding mine]

It's fun to look, and we've discovered a bit of info so far, so we're not done yet.

/ help with Fordson ID #5  
In the Tractordata.com E27N listing, photo section, they show where the serial umber can be found;

TractorData.com Fordson E27N Major tractor photos information [bottom photo]

Yours looks so much like a Model N, if it wasn't for that engine marking E27N. That's why I reckon yours would've been a very early post-war production model due to materiel shortages. In other words, they used up the existing Model N parts (like your rear fenders) before switching over to the newer design.

Oh, and the E27N was known as the 'High' Major because subsequent "Major" models had a lower seating position. :laughing:

E = English, 27 = Hp, N = Model

Last edited:
   / help with Fordson ID
thanks Wagtail... your efforts have been very helpful...

i hadn't even noticed that i posted a pic with e27n in it...:mur:
i went out for a look for the plate on the firewall but i think its been lost over the years... oh well.

amazing that this one looks so ancient when my te20 '50 model looks so fresh.... only a few years between them ( and the fergie is still my goto tractor for all my mowing)