Hobart 150

/ Hobart 150 #11  
I would like to learn more about hydrogen in oil and grease.
Basically, most oils are hydrocarbons and greases are combinations of oils and soaps. Hydrocarbons are molecules made from hydrogen and carbon. When exposed to the high heat of the welding process some of the hydrogen in the hydrocarbon molecules lets go of the carbon and dissolves into the molten steel.
Eric

/ Hobart 150 #12  
I hadnt heard it explained that way. I know carbon from grease can be a concern.

/ Hobart 150
If you decide to weld it then you need to clean it very well. Get any grease and oil out of the weld zone. Grind the paint off. Then get it hot with a torch, about 600 degrees. I know, that's hard to judge. Just get it good and hot. Then weld. Your welder isn't really up to the challenge on cold steel this heavy, but pre-heating will make it possible to get a good weld. Not one that just looks good but one that has penetrated. All oils must be cleaned away because they are full of hydrogen. When welding oily steel the hydrogen coming out of the oil will dissolve into the molten steel in the weld. As the weld cools the hydrogen will come out of solution. This will show up as porosity which may not be visible unless the weld is ground on a little. The hydrogen also causes the steel to become brittle. So with the porosity and the embrittlement and poor penetration the weld loses most of its strength, even if it looks great.
Good Luck,
Eric

I ground the old weld and paint cleaned the grease as good as possible heated with my small map torch then welded. I’m good to go
Thanks again for your help.

/ Hobart 150 #14  
I ground the old weld and paint cleaned the grease as good as possible heated with my small map torch then welded. I’m good to go
Thanks again for your help.
You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. Often with a little help from someone else I am able to do a job I have never done before. I have seen some excellent work done by amateurs many times and it makes me feel good to help when I can. Thanks for reporting back.
Eric