Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA?

/ Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA? #1  

julichris

Tractor
NH TC45DA, LS G3038
I have looked at several older posts about the slow coolant leak from the drain plug fitting on the right side of engine block. The older posts describe this drain fitting as leading to a hose which then runs to the radiator. There is no such hose on my tractor (year 2006 - picture attached). Did NH change the design? My understanding is that the hose was there to drain the engine block of coolant when changing the coolant. With no hose, should I manually be draining the coolant from the engine? Thank you!

/ Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA? #2  
I have a TC45D manufactured in 2000. It has the hose and tap in the engine block. The hose goes to the radiator drain valve as you said. It was also a problem because coolant bypassed the thermostat and kept the engine from heating up in cold weather. The solution was to cut the hose and install an inline valve to shut off the bypass. Below, I've included two photos. The first is a picture of the tap in the block between the oil filter and the hydraulic pump. The second is with the hydraulic pump removed when I was rebuilding it. The red arrow is to the inline needle valve I installed.

From your description, it seems that NH installed a petcock on the block and eliminated the hose. As you said, if you want full drainage of coolant, you'll have to open that petcock and drain the block.

Attachments

• BlockDrain.jpg
    BlockDrain.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 6,568
  • bypasshose.jpg
    bypasshose.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,336
   / Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA? #3  
My 1720 had the same set-up as show in photo. The fitting on the block was leaking so I eliminated it. It allows you to completely drain the block & radiator thru the petcock.
My 1720 warmed up fine with prior to and after removing it.
tim

/ Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA?
My picture did not make it through the first time. Here it is.

Thank you for the comments, Jinman and 90cummins.

Attachments

• Engine coolant drain compressed.jpg
    Engine coolant drain compressed.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,812
   / Hose connected to coolant drain plug on engine block TC45DA? #5  
I have looked at several older posts about the slow coolant leak from the drain plug fitting on the right side of engine block. The older posts describe this drain fitting as leading to a hose which then runs to the radiator. There is no such hose on my tractor (year 2006 - picture attached). Did NH change the design? My understanding is that the hose was there to drain the engine block of coolant when changing the coolant. With no hose, should I manually be draining the coolant from the engine? Thank you!

My 2006 has the same setup as yours. I bought a 3 foot section of clear hose that attached to the petcock and run it into a old 5 gallon gas can when changing the AF. Attach the hose then open the petcock.

I drain the radiator first using the same hose and old gas can. Before I bought the hose it seemed the fluid out of the radiator just went everywhere.

When done I take the can to the local recycling place that takes it for a small fee.

I found my system the best for keeping the AF off the ground and running down the tractors frame etc and hence out of the little kitties little lips.