HST Loose shifting levers

/ HST Loose shifting levers #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
When my tractor was fairly new I had an issue with the shifting lever attachment roll pin working its way out. I put it back in and wired it with stainless steel wire. Over the past few years it has gotten very loose. Today I pulled the shifter assembly out. I drilled the roll pin hole to 1/4 inch and installed a new roll pin and wired it to keep it from falling out should it get loose. Before installing it I drilled an 1/8 inch hole on the underside of the bushing section so that I can grease this with a rubber tip on a grease gun. Hopefully this will stay put and not loosen up again. I had at least an inch os slop in the shifter handle.

Attachments

• 20220826_184540.jpg
    20220826_184540.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • 20220826_184604.jpg
    20220826_184604.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
   / HST Loose shifting levers #2  
I just bought my first tractor. It's a used NX4510 hst cab. I had it a week and the range shifter lever is out of sync with the dash light and transmission. I don't know what gear I'm in. Since it only starts in neutral, I have to move the shifter around to find neutral while turning the ignition to get it started.

Do you think my issue could be similar to what you had?

Thanks,
Pete

/ HST Loose shifting levers
How sloppy is the shifter? Look down inside and see if the arm where the lever attaches to is loose as a goose where the pin goes thru it.

/ HST Loose shifting levers #4  
gotta do mine I have over 2 inches of slop in my 40hst lever, is ittime consuming to remove the lever?

A bit to get it out of there.

/ HST Loose shifting levers #6  
I drilled mined out slightly and ditched the cheesy roll pin setup for a shoulder bolt with a nylok nut after the oem roll pin worked its way out the first time.

I drilled mined out slightly and ditched the cheesy roll pin setup for a shoulder bolt with a nylok nut after the oem roll pin worked its way out the first time.
Has it come loose at all in the hole?

/ HST Loose shifting levers #8  
It has a little more play now than when I put the bolt in it a couple of years ago, but nothing like it had with the roll pin. It's not an ideal design; welding it solid did occur to me, but then you'd be in a real pickle if you ever actually needed it to come off for any reason.

It has a little more play now than when I put the bolt in it a couple of years ago, but nothing like it had with the roll pin. It's not an ideal design; welding it solid did occur to me, but then you'd be in a real pickle if you ever actually needed it to come off for any reason.
That was why I didn't weld mine and went with a 1/4 pin. I can still go bigger if I ever have to.