hyd brake maintenance on 8540

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540 #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
Some maintenance items in Kubota manuals are way overkill like replacing hoses, belts, power steering lines. The scheduled maintenance for the hyd brake system on the 8540 seems the same (probably for their liability).....but they recommend cleaning m cyl filter, repl. the kit, replacing equalizer kit (what's that?) 2 brake seals, and bleeding lines every 2 yrs. @ 220 hrs, I'm not even going there.....but may do the filter (screen) and bleed down the line later on.....anyone had experience servicing this system.....my dealer has never done since the models have been out....some of it I may never do, other things I want to prevent before they fail....I'll eventually pick up a shop repair manual.......thanks in advance bb

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540 #2  
Thats something I guess we have been over looking! We have them out where the brakes have worn out on farm use units with thousands of hours but I have to say, we haven't read the manual to go to those extremes.

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540 #3  
bb, get the workshop manual. it has everything you need to know in it. i think i paid around 80$ for it online.

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540 #4  
Big Bubba, sorry this post won't help you any. I've only had mine long enough to get through the 50 hour service with all the fluid/filter changes. I agree that the brake service is overkill. Think I'll wait till they fail or show signs of failing before I delve into that. Of course, I'll probably be on a hillside when they go!!! :eek:
Are your brakes getting weak or is it just that the manual calls for the service and it's getting time? Either way, goodluck with your decision and sorry can't help.

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540
thanks to above for the info and inquiry. yeah, had planned to get the shop manual. No problem here. @ 150-200 hrs annually, I may never see the need for their service. Kubota mentions it probably for their liability, but in a few do plan to clean the screen & bleed the lines (mechanic tells me the fluid stays in the same place for that brake system) no biggie....anyone know what an equalizer is on that system? Sure do like the 85/95 over the 7040 for the brake system and transmission lock itself. plus more guts. thanks again bb

/ hyd brake maintenance on 8540 #6  
bb, the equalizer is built into the master cylinder. there is a filter in there also. i installed a block heater a couple weeks ago, tried it out today. 12 degrees F outside. left on for two hours. had heat in the cab in five minutes. drained the block and radiator to install the heater. added new antifreeze when i was done. also changed both fuel filters while i had it in my shop. the fuel bleeding system on this tractor is very simple. fired right up when i was done. 405 hrs.