hydraulic fluid

/ hydraulic fluid #1  

Dumb on the farm

I am new to tractors and wondering if some one can help me.I have a Kubota L3130 with HST that I want to change the hydraulic fluid and filters.I have used all Kubota oils in the past,but when I went to purchase the fluid this time the dealer wanted $112.69 per 5 gallon pail. Needing 10 Gallons I need to find an fluid that will work and not harm the tractor.I live 70 miles from every thing so any help will be alot of help.

/ hydraulic fluid #2  
Perfect. Ditto for me on a lot of that. I rented a L3130 HSTfor the weekend. When it started losing power, I brought it back to the house, and called a neighbor, (who can fix anything). He pointed out that no hydraulic fluid registered on the dipstick. I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday reading threads relating to this issue dating back to 2001. Now, I'm a little more knowledgable, but not any smarter on the subject.

Bottom line: May I use a WalMart product to prolong my tractor time?

Specifically: 2 Gal. Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Oil. On the back of the container it lists Kubota and UDT. My concern is that it is not the Super UDT referenced in so many of the discusssion for HST's. I figure that the front end loader is the problem area for a leak, and rationalize that they will fill up, or replace the fluid upon return of the tractor. I'd appreciate your input, as I'm ready to do some brushhogging by the light of this full moon, a.s.a.p. Many thanks.

/ hydraulic fluid #3  
Problem is if you have any kind of warranty and you put in non recommended fluid in - then you have a battle to fight with the manufacturer.

For me it's never worth saving a few dollars and take the gamble that I may hurt the equipment.

I will tell you one thing, the dealer made a mistake and put in regular hydro fluid and not the super in my Kubota and it made a huge difference in power.

I used to go up the same hill as usual in high gear and could do it no problem with the super, when it was switched I had to down shift to low gear for the same him. Unscientific at best but for me I made him change and put the right stuff. When it was changed no problem again with going up the same hill in high gear.

/ hydraulic fluid #4  
Problem is if you have any kind of warranty and you put in non recommended fluid in - then you have a battle to fight with the manufacturer.

For me it's never worth saving a few dollars and take the gamble that I may hurt the equipment.

I will tell you one thing, the dealer made a mistake and put in regular hydro fluid and not the super in my Kubota and it made a huge difference in power.

I used to go up the same hill as usual in high gear and could do it no problem with the super, when it was switched I had to down shift to low gear for the same him. Unscientific at best but for me I made him change and put the right stuff. When it was changed no problem again with going up the same hill in high gear.

That's excellent information. Thanks for your input.
ff