Hydraulic motor flow valve

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve #21  
How do you know that? After I drilled mine, it has a smooth control from zero to max, just like it did when the hole was smaller.
Right but you went larger he needs to go smaller. All that putting a set screw with a hole in it will do is reduce the max amount of fluid that can go through. The opening at the sealing point is going to stay the same and it l will open at the same rate so the only difference would be that it will have a lower max flow through the valve.

Aaron Z

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve #22  
Aaron, the FCR51-1/2(0-4) was the one I was looking at. There's already a forward/neutral/reverse valve in the system so this just needs to set the flow. I thought there was a 0-5 gpm but that's an unusual value so it may have been an error in Amazon's listing- I didn't check on Brand's site.
Right, the reason I suggested the one with reversing is not that the valve itself reverses but that it does not throttle the flow in reverse. As such when you get something stuck in there and you want to back it out in a hurry it'll back it out as fast as the pump will push the fluid through.

Aaron Z

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve
Oh thanks, I misunderstood that. I think I'm ok with it reversing at the same speed.

I found this chart in the Brand FC51 docs:

Screenshot - 05042017 - 01:08:21 PM.png

It looks like all the valves are similar in the 0-3gpm range. But the smallest they show appears to be an 8gpm model.

I finally got around to putting an FCR51-1/4(0-4) on the chipper. It works much better. Lately I have been chipping larger material and have been adjusting the feed speed a lot more so this really helps. The old valve just made that too difficult. I measured the max RPM with the old valve and the new one. The new one was about 5% slower but it was about 10 degrees colder when I made the measurement. I operated it for a while after making the measurement (both were done with the chipper cold) and it seems to run about as fast in the fast setting as the original valve.

The effective adjustment range is over about 40% of the lever travel instead of a tiny %.

The one drawback is that the new valve's tripping it's relief a lot more than the old, which very rarely did. If I read the specs for the old valve right it's set for 210 bar (3000 psi) with an operating max of 3600 psi. 3000 sounds a little high, maybe I'm misinterpreting. The new valve is factory preset to 1500. Is there any useful rule of thumb for pressure change per turn of the relief valve?

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve #25  
The one drawback is that the new valve's tripping it's relief a lot more than the old, which very rarely did. If I read the specs for the old valve right it's set for 210 bar (3000 psi) with an operating max of 3600 psi. 3000 sounds a little high, maybe I'm misinterpreting. The new valve is factory preset to 1500. Is there any useful rule of thumb for pressure change per turn of the relief valve?
From the install manual:
http://www.brand-hyd.com/wfdata/files/install/valves/FC_Installation_Sheet.pdf said:
Relief Adjustment ( FCR & FCB valves )
– Relief setting is factory preset to 1500 psi, unless otherwise noted within model code. Relief valve can be set anywhere within the range of 500 psi to 3000psi. To adjust relief pressure: First, remove acorn nut and then turn the relief adjustment set screw clockwise to increase the pressure setting. One complete turn of set screw increases /decreases pressure by 300 psi. EX port MUST be plumbed back to tank for relief function to operate.

Aaron Z

In case anyone else finds this thread and does this, I increased the relief pressure screw two turns to about 2100 and it's no longer tripping the relief too often. So far it hasn't tripped it at all. I think 2100 is as high as I need to go. I might go slightly lower.

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve #28  
I finally got around to putting an FCR51-1/4(0-4) on the chipper. It works much better. Lately I have been chipping larger material and have been adjusting the feed speed a lot more so this really helps. The old valve just made that too difficult. I measured the max RPM with the old valve and the new one. The new one was about 5% slower but it was about 10 degrees colder when I made the measurement. I operated it for a while after making the measurement (both were done with the chipper cold) and it seems to run about as fast in the fast setting as the original valve.

The effective adjustment range is over about 40% of the lever travel instead of a tiny %.

Pretty old post but was this on an "8H" or an "86H" chipper? I've got an 86H that I'd like to have a finer feed speed control on.

Last edited:
My chipper is a 8H. You may be able to find your valve's specs by looking up any numbers on it.

When I did mine, I could not find any flow control valves on alibaba that were less than 16 gpm. I would not be surprised if yours was 16 gpm.

/ Hydraulic motor flow valve #30  
I have a Woodmaxx 86H, and I have no issues with the speed control, which goes from zero slowly and uniformly to "darn fast", only suitable for twigs. Leaving aside things like low oil levels, and a bad pump, is it possible that there is something partially obstructing the passages on your control valve?

FWIW: My 86H has to have the oil tank quite full or it doesn't prime, and barely spins the feed rotor. It is an easy thing to check/alter...

All the best,

Peter