Hydraulic valve sizing

/ Hydraulic valve sizing #1  

USMC2145

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1431
Why would the manufacturer put a control valve on the loader that is rated 3x the flow rate in GPM that my pump can put out?
I ask becasue I have to replace my control valve and I need to make sure that I get the right specs.
Thanks.

/ Hydraulic valve sizing #2  
Why would the manufacturer put a control valve on the loader that is rated 3x the flow rate in GPM that my pump can put out?
I ask becasue I have to replace my control valve and I need to make sure that I get the right specs.
Thanks.

Larger valves are cheaper.

/ Hydraulic valve sizing #3  
When that loader is coming down with weight in it,(in float position) it could very easily exceed the pump output.

/ Hydraulic valve sizing
Deerlope,
I don't follow. Wouldn't a smaller valve control the rate of flow through it? If the pumps output is 15gpm and the valve flow through flow rate is 10gpm the valve would restrict the flow rate to 10gpm but if the valve has a rate of 20gpm it would allow more flow out of the cylinder than the pump can replace on the opposite side of the cylinder. Am I way off on this?

/ Hydraulic valve sizing #5  
I'm just guessing, but most loaders are made to fit more than one model tractor. They probably select the valve that will work with the tractor with the highest flow . That way they cover all the models with one valve.
Bill