I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #1  

Jimmy Williams

Tractor
234 international gear drive
I have a 234 international gear drive. Three point will not raise. Previous owner said he was working it and three point just dropped down and hasn’t worked since

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #2  
Start with the basics. Is there anything other than the three point that uses hydraulics? Probably manual steering?

You might start with checking to see if the pump is moving any oil. You can do that by loosening some bolts on the pump output line, or the banjo bolt securing the pressure line to the lift valve on the three point lift housing. BRIEFLY start the engine for a few seconds and see if any oil starts gushing out. that will tell you something.

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up
No other Hyd on the tractor, Manuel steering. I did loosen the banjo line. Oil did come out but didn’t gush out. Took the pump off and it looked good,I put a drill on the pump and put oil in the inlet side. It seemed to pump fine. It would suck hard on my finger when I put it over intake side. I changed filter and oil but the fine wire mesh on filter was totally gone. Just wandering if it has a pressure relief valve on it somewhere? Thank you for getting back with me.

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #4  
If it has a relief valve it will be in the lift valve circuit somewhere. If it were me, I would probably remove the banjo bolt from the lift housing end of the pressure line. swing the line out of the way enough to get a rubber tipped air nozzle sealed against the port. With bare lift arms (nothing attached) set the controls to full raise and introduce a blast of compressed air into the port. If things in there are working the lift arms will pop up. If they don't, and you hear the air escaping inside, then you know have a problem in there. If they do pop up, then you're back to the pump and/or supply.

If it has a relief valve it will be in the lift valve circuit somewhere. If it were me, I would probably remove the banjo bolt from the lift housing end of the pressure line. swing the line out of the way enough to get a rubber tipped air nozzle sealed against the port. With bare lift arms (nothing attached) set the controls to full raise and introduce a blast of compressed air into the port. If things in there are working the lift arms will pop up. If they don't, and you hear the air escaping inside, then you know have a problem in there. If they do pop up, then you're back to the pump and/or supply.
Good thinking! I never thought about doing that. I’ll give it a try. I really appreciate the advice and will let you know how it comes out. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving and God bless.

I tried the air on the pressure line. No movement on three point. Air comes out around shifter. Guess it might be something wrong inside.

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #7  
So are you assuming that the pump is working OK?
The pump should work without that cleanable screen as long as there are no suction leaks between the sump and the intake to the pump. If you have the framework but are just missing the mesh screen, the mesh is a wrapped and mounted sock of 304 SS #200 . The flat mesh is available at most hardware stores or even on Amazon.

There are several O rings that could be bad and would cause the 3pt to fail Harry's air pressure test.
There are one or two O rings on the drop speed adjuster or "stop valve" - which is usually located under the front of the seat. That adjuster is just basically a needle valve with some O rings to seal the threads in the bore. Not all O ring materials are compatible with all hydraulic fluids....

And then there is the lift piston itself. That piston often has an O ring backed by a metal ring. If any of those O rings mentioned have gotten old and failed the 3pt won't lift.

Note that the system relief valve is often on a circuit right there with the stop valve & accessible under a cap in the same area under the front of the operator's seat. A stuck relief valve would also cause the 3pt arm lift problem. Flow wise, the relief valve is downstream of all those O rings. A piece of O ring could conceivably jam the relief valve open. That's where I would look next; the relief valve and stop valve are easy to access & inspect.

rScotty
Here are some illustrations to study.

1_Artist Cutaway view of YM240 3pt hydraulics.png3_Raising the 3pt lift arm.jpg4_Lowering the 3pt lift arm.jpg5_Control Valve 3pt in Neutral position.jpg6_(8)Troubleshooting the 3pt lift system.jpg

Last edited:
   / I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #8  
It’s not going to be complicated when you find the culprit. Something is just broke on the inside. Like the big cylinder that moves the lift arms. Just use your vision

/ I have a 234 international and three point will not lift up #9  
It’s not going to be complicated when you find the culprit. Something is just broke on the inside. Like the big cylinder that moves the lift arms. Just use your vision

AI comes to TBN....

You were right mike. I removed the top and the roll pin that connects the lever to the valve spool was gone. Put another roll pin in and it works fine. Couldn’t find the pin, drained the oil and cleaned it out good but no pin. Hope it don’t come out of hiding and get between gears. That y’all for all the advice