Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK..

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #31  
I've had both. Bought two shiny brand new rigs. Still have one (2012 2500HD) and a pile of used rigs. If I was retired, I guess I'd feel differently, but I don't see why you shouldn't spoil yourself.

I'm the guy who has a bunch of project trucks and loves them all. Trucks are my hobby and obsession. New, old, rusty, shiny, I love them all.

This decision depends on the type of person you are: Some people love a new truck and spend a lot of time showing it off, washing and waxing and generally taking a lot of pride in their rig. Others view them as a tool. Meant to be used and replaced when worn out. If you are the first, then yes, you should treat yourself. If you are the latter, save some money and buy a used truck that just fits the bill.

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #32  

Attachments

• 4FDC29A2-C3C8-4A10-8D17-88B379B7673C.jpeg
    4FDC29A2-C3C8-4A10-8D17-88B379B7673C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 115

This is my truck. It’s a 2017 XLT, called a Super Cab, 4x4, 5.0 V8, and a 302A package, which includes heated power seats and some other goodies, 36 gallon tank, electric locker in back, and tow package. About $37k out the door. If your like me you need a truck.

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #33  
I’m in a somewhat similar boat as the OP. I’m retired and in good shape financially if I live to 100. I’m trying to shake off a bit of my frugal ways and treat myself occasionally.

Last edited:
   / Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #34  
Interesting. You're wanting to spend 8% of your savings on a new truck and you come to a forum so that a dozen strangers can help you decide!

Great ideas can spring from nowhere. You never know.

I’m sure the OP understands any advice he receives here is worth exactly what he paid to receive.

MoKelly

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #35  
Absolutely nothing wrong with good used cars. Let all the New Car Lovers take the humongous depreciation losses. It is true that you can't take it with you (all that money) but that doesn't mean you should spend frivolous
I guess it depends on what type of new cars you buy. I bought a Jeep in November 2019. Carvana just offered me $600 more than I paid for it. Can't imagine what they will sell it for, but it will be well over what I paid for it when new.

Have not decided if I want to get rid of it or not, but it is a tempting offer.

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #36  
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’m retired and in good shape financially if I live to 100.
I’m trying to shake off a bit of my frugal ways and treat myself occasionally.
Gopher-It.
Agree 100%. Bought my 2016 F150 new (actually, I bought my lease out), and will probably buy new again (but won't have to for a long time.)

Wife had a 10 year-old Honda Pilot in super excellent condition, and we kept saying to ourselves, "Why buy new when this truck still runs great and has no rust? (Actually, there was a sacrificial battery drain somewhere, which is an easy fix.)

Then one morning I woke up, realized that it was time to stop being so frugal, and went out and bought her a brand new Toyota 4Runner Limited for her birthday. We both felt great about it, even though it was frivolous. (She had a 2003 4Runner, and always wanted to go back to one.)

Sold the Pilot in a heartbeat, to a family with 6 kids. Felt pretty good about that too, since the Pilot was an 8-seater.

/ Im thinking of BUYING A NEW TRUCK.. #37  
I bought a brand new Silverado in 2003 and kept it for 17 years until last year. One month after I purchased it a shopping cart rolled or was pushed (I'll never know for sure) into the truck right under the gas cap cover. Causing a rather deep 6" long vertical dent. Last year I went looking for another brand new Truck but could not find exactly what I wanted. Well Luckily there was a 2018 very clean truck on the lot that caught my eye. One year later I'm still very happy and not nearly as worried about a scratch or dent.