installing a plow on the FEL

/ installing a plow on the FEL #1  

mdn0123

I have a Kubota L3400 that I've used to plow (i.e. push) snow off my 1/4 mile driveway for about 3 years now. I desperately want to use a plow that I can angle off to one side just like a plow truck and pile the snow up on the edge versus having to scoop and dump it off the edge of the road every 50 feet or so.

So I found a couple of old plows with hydraulic pistons to control right and left angle movement and I'm wondering what needs to be done to make these work with my FEL hydraulics...or if it would work at all.

I know very little about how the hydraulic system works, but I am here to learn. My assumption was that I could give up the controls that roll the bucket up and down and use those two ports to angle the plow right/left...but I think I would need something called a power beyond control to do that. I have no idea what that is and why it is needed, but that is why I'm here.

Can anyone explain how the system works and what parts I need, or if there is a simpler way to do what I am proposing?

FYI, I have a backup plan that is much simpler: there is a manual control plow I have my eye on which will just stay angled to the right or left until you walk around and change it by hand. I could just bolt that to my bucket, connect it to the clevis hook mounted it the top of my bucket by a chain to support it vertically, and I should be good to go with no hydraulic complications.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Mike

/ installing a plow on the FEL #2  
Welcome to TBN Mike:D

Here we go:
So I found a couple of old plows with hydraulic pistons to control right and left angle movement and I'm wondering what needs to be done to make these work with my FEL hydraulics...or if it would work at all.

It will work fine, MANY here on TBN have done it including myself. There are a few tricks though, and I will cover them with a broad brush. A search will turn up HOURS of reading for you.

My assumption was that I could give up the controls that roll the bucket up and down and use those two ports to angle the plow right/left...
You can do that, but most cylinders on FEL's leak down a little, so unplugging the dump/curl hoses to plug the plow in will not let you re-adjust the plow when the cylinders leak down-and most likely it will becuase of the weight of the plow. You could chain the plow to the FEL frame to prevent this...but that is a less-than-elegant solution. And, there is this little "feature" in the valve called "regen" that can give you a fit controlling the plow.

but I think I would need something called a power beyond control to do that. I have no idea what that is and why it is needed, but that is why I'm here.

The PB line is used to add a entirely new and separate valve to your machine. That new valve can be manually operated or electric. You have 7 hoses connected to you FEL now, 4 go to the work ports( the loader cylinders), 1 is the feed or IN, 1 is the OUT or T (for tank) that returns used fluid to the tank(sump, reservoir), and the last one is the PB (power beyond) that feeds the IN of the next valve is series-which in your case is the 3PH.

Basically you would remove this PB line and connect it to the IN of the new valve, then the OUT or PB of the new valve would connect to where you removed the original hose from.

Also, if you don't want to engineer this yourself, WR Long has a electric/hydraulic kit for your machine that includes everything including the new lines that go up to the front of the loader for about $600.

Here are some search terms to get you started, read some then reply back;)

FEL plow
snowplow
remote
3rd function
WR Long