IRS finally resolved my problem

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I had a thread on here a little over a year ago about IRS wanting me to pay thousands of dollars in back taxes because they made a mistake in checking my return. Using search I have been unable to find that thread to respond to it so I am starting a new thread.

When they checked my 2019 taxes they accidently doubled my total income and wanted me to pay these extra taxes. After very many hours on the phone I found it was impossible to find an actual person to talk to to explain what happened. Everything was push 1 for this or 2 for this and so on.

After writing about a dozen letters and spending about 100 hours on the phone pushing buttons I gave up and waited for them to debit my bank account. Today, 2 years after my first letter from them demanding payment, I finally received a letter from them stating that I did not owe any back taxes. No "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" or "we made an error". But I sure am happy to get that dog off of my back.

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #2  
With your other troubles from Ida, these back taxes would just add more grief. Jon

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #3  
A few years back when we were taking care of our g'kids and then my wife got diagnosed with cancer, another family member stepped up to take care of the g'kids. On the taxes, since we had them more than 185 days that tax year, I went ahead and claimed them. Got a letter a few weeks later saying someone else had also claimed them and wanting to know what was what. I sent a letter back explaining what happened, and other family member did as well. A few weeks again and I received a letter offering a deal where-by they would not count my wife's self-employment income as actual income (and I'm disabled vet, so no taxes) dropping my tax liability down to $0, and letting the other person keep the EIC, even though she didn't have the g'kids for more than 1/2 the year (and definitely less when concerning the court documents). I was completely flabbergasted at the straight handiness and logic of the whole deal. My neighbor works for H&R Block and said he'd never seen, or even heard, of the IRS making such a deal in more than 20yrs.

This year, I owed taxes to the State on the sale of a rental property and paid via credit online. Received a letter stating I still owed taxes and only had 10 days to pay up or else. When I called to see what was up, they figured out they had ended up crediting someone else that payment :rolleyes:. How that happens when I paid a computer tied to my account online is beyond me..

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #4  
IRS... Bridge Tolls, City Assessments, Liens, etc...

I've learned documentation means everything but the time it takes sucks...

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #5  
In 1997 ago when self employed I recieved a tax bill along with penalties and interest for a previous year...1993. The problem was that I never made that money, had been working as an employee with money withheld every week, and had filed my taxes on time. They claimed I had just filed that year so I asked for a copy of the return... which they couldn't produce so sent multiple strips of paper which they called my transcripts. It turned out that when somebody keypunched my 1997 return they had accidently punched "1993" in one slot. I was never able to get it straightened out though as the IRS doesn't make mistakes; so ended up paying around $5000.

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #6  
Easiest way to find your old threads on this new version is to click "Find Threads" and "Your threads":
find threads.JPG

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #7  
Over the years I don't have much to complain about...

One year I went round and round on incomplete return...

Finally, I went to a CPA I had done work for... he said nothing wrong with my return but quickest way to resolve is to provide information requested... which turned out to be pages of scheduled with my name and zeros in all the blanks... sounds dumb but that was the end of it...

Tax Law offices can screw up but the good thing is they have to fix it at no charge and such was the case in at least one instance...

/ IRS finally resolved my problem #8  
20+ years ago we had three different kinds of self-employment income between me and my wife, so we hired an accountant to do our taxes instead of doing them ourselves. They're also an enrolled agent and know how to deal with the IRS. Which has come in handy more than once, like when we got audited. They're not even that expensive. Totally worth it for the reduced hassle.