Is Rural Living a Hobby?

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #241  
Thanks for replying…

My guess was record retention or destruction…
It was actually both ... After I saved the imaged documents into the system with references, the documents were destroyed.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #242  
The scanner and I had quite a relationship. I figured out how to keep it feeding well. The staff had no patience for it, nor machinery feel.
That stirred up PTSD! :)

Several times during 20 years in the Inspector General branch of a large public agency, I spent the better part of a week standing in front of a scanner feeding mountains of original documents. Of course, almost all with staples. I soon learned to rip out staples with a fingernail and that anything over 20 pages can just be ripped into top/bottom components without tearing the paper, so the staple will come out of the top half easier. I thought I had forgotten that part of my life! By age 54 I had accumulated savings that let me retire from that life. Best decision I ever made! Been playing Gentleman Farmer ever since. :)

California government is generally clean. Here's the one instance where things had gone massively astray, where I had a peripheral role. I was reviewing a different district and was suddenly told to dig in to find any evidence that this district had a similar problem, turn the place inside out. After weeks of digging, no significant problems found. Worst I found was the scrap metal dealer's weigh slips were accepted without a government representative witnessing the weighing, and public auction buyers of used equipment sometimes had inside information on the condition of what they bid on. Both of these issues NBD. But I had to write a lengthy audit report detailing every aspect I had dug into, sufficient to confirm there was no coverup in this district.