Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t?

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #1  

slingha

Tractor
Bobcat
Debating whether I need grab hooks or I’m good with my pallet forks.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #2  
Are you referring to welding hooks on the bucket? Yes there’s a lot of reasons to have them.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #3  
My forks frame has a guard across the top that's thing to keep stuff from falling on me for the most part but it's not particularly structural and will bend under a bit of stress.

The frame itself has some verticals lower down that I can hook with chain hooks (perfect size for 5/16ths hook), but otherwise it's hard to attach chain with the forks.

I've had thoughts of welding a hook onto each side of the main forks frame.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #4  
I have grab hooks on my buckets and pallet forks. I use them all the time for lifting things with a chain and pulling fence posts. There are lots of things that are difficult to pick up with forks but easy to lift with a chain. Many implements for example are hard to get forks under but easy to hook a chain on to.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #5  
No forks here. Hooks on the bucket that I use for all sorts of things. Carry All that I strap into the bucket as a makeshift substitute for forks. A whole lot less cost than forks for as little as I use it.

Only gripe on the hooks is that they 'grab' a lot of things I don't want them too ... like brush when pushing piles around since I don't have a grapple, or the funds or hydraulics for one.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #6  
Debating whether I need grab hooks or I’m good with my pallet forks.
Being ale to use chains is very useful. It's a lot handier to pick some loads from the top, set them gently into place and not have to try to slide the forks out after placing them.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #7  
I would recommend both. For many of the reasons listed. Even with pallet forks, there are some things it's easier or better to sling it and lift it with chains rather than trying to get forks under it. Especially if it's an oddly shaped or non symmetrical object. Or if it's too large to get the forks under it far enough. The ones that come readily to mind are lifting to move my 6' rotary mower, lifting and moving a neighbor's old pickup truck bed, and lifting the front of my riding mower to get the deck off of it.

I still use the pallet forks a bunch, even for non palleted stuff. But hooks welded on a bucket are super handy to have around.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #8  
Also you can get three weld on grab hooks for less than $20 and weld them on in less than an hour. No real reason not to have them. They are so cheap relative to the potential benefits of them. Even if you can't weld and have to buy the bolt on hooks it will still be one of the cheapest additions to your tractor.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #9  
Welding some hooks to my forks has been on the to do list for a while. I'm constantly strapping feed and water barrels down so they don't slip off pallets when I'm driving across the property. Hooking a chain on one side, looping, and hooking it on the other sounds faster than the 2" ratchet strap I use. Some day.

/ Is there anything grab hooks can do that pallet forks can’t? #10  
You can not "secure" anything in bucket with forks.... But hooks allow you to chain up almost any awkward load.... I use my hooks more than my forks.....And actually use chains and hooks to keep large awkward loads on forks... They were actually first thing I added after my tractor was delivered...

Dale