Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use?

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I need to top off my equipment's hydraulic system and was over at Rural King and saw where they had a couple of skids of hydraulic fluid in 5 gallon buckets, but was not sure if it would be compatible with what's already in my equipment. The two types they had are Cam AG-20 and X-treme 334.
The Cam AG-20 says it's a 20 weight fluid, but on the X-treme there is a sign posted that says "this oil may not be compatible with equipment made after 1974". The two pieces of equipment I have are a 1962 Massey- Ferguson 35 diesel deluxe and a 1972 Case 580B backhoe. Would either of these two oil do the job without causing any problems? What's the deal on the later models and this oil? RRM

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #2  
I think the guys with the yellow buckets got in a jam up for listing that dirty crap wrong. I got some Cam stuff from auto parts and it was super clean.

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #3  
Most tractors use a multi-use type transmission&hydraulic fluid. I don't know of any that use strictly hydraulic fluid.
No...I take that back. I do know of one instance. We once had a 3pt PTO-driven backhoe (dangerous thing, but worked) that had its own pump and reservoir independent of the tractor. It could probably have used straight hydraulic fluid although the sticker on it called for SAE 10w-30.

Last edited:
   / Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #4  
You just have to make sure that is compatible with wet brakes and clutch since I believe your 580 would have both of these items.

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #5  
You just have to make sure that is compatible with wet brakes and clutch since I believe your 580 would have both of these items.

There's just no way to be sure. JD just OK'd the use of their regular motor oil as the hydraulic fluid in my 310SG. It has the same wet brakes and torque converter as some 580s. But motor oil much less expensive than trans/hyd.
Makes a big difference since it holds 30 gallons.

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #7  
There is no standards for hydraulic oil. This means the product manufacturer sets the specs for the oil. The aftermarket can say that they meet the spec but theres no 3rd party check like motor oil. If your machine has hydrostatic or wet clutches then use the manufacturers oil. If it dosnt use what you want.

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #8  
   / Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #9  
When I went to my LS dealer for hyd fluid to top off after my 50 hr service he told me they use the Cam AG-20 in every machine they sell so that’s what I got. Works great for me and he sells it for $28 for a 5 gal bucket.

/ Is this Hydraulic fluid ok to use? #10  
When I went to my LS dealer for hyd fluid to top off after my 50 hr service he told me they use the Cam AG-20 in every machine they sell so that’s what I got. Works great for me and he sells it for $28 for a 5 gal bucket.
And hes making money on it at $28 for a 5gal bucket. That's cheaper than the Sinopec walmart stuff.