JD 4200 pinion replacement

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #11  
Since whine/drag is in all gears/all ranges, it MIGHT be a problem in your rear axle?
I would try driving and then apply just one rear wheel brake, then the other. See if that makes any difference. If it does, the side that was braked and stopped the whine would be side I took apart.
You need to find where those balls came from before you have any (more) damage.

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #12  
Looks to me like if one of the bearings in the assembly shown by dfkrug was losing balls it would cause every gear to whine?

Clearly, one bearing has failed, and this has caused some mis-alignment of gears. Since it happens in all ranges, it is most likely the main shaft of the trans, which turns in every range. Regardless, you need to stop driving it before you break a gear ($$$).

When you split the tractor, you should check for smoothness of all bearings. They are not expensive, but gears are.

Also note that if this happens in neutral on range selector or neutral on gear selector, you may be able to deduce which shaft is likely to have the bad bearing. You still have to open it up to find it.

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #13  
@Zebrafive, The balls were smaller than 1/4" diameter, so I'm thinking wheel bearings would be larger?

@dfkrug, I put the tractor in neutral range (ABC) and tried all the gears (R123) and got the whine/drag every gear. I put the tractor in neutral gear (R123) and tried all the ranges (ABC) and I heard no whine/drag.

When you say "split the tractor" this is a bit intimidating since I've never done it. So, if I split it myself, replace a bearing or two and put it all back together, I'm guessing it's less than $100 repair. I could get the service manual and give it a go over winter. I'm in no hurry. Can it be done without any special equipment? You mentioned a fork lift in your 4300 rebuilt thread. Since I've never split one before, is it something that a guy could do with a little patience?

If not for the novice, any idea what a dealer would charge assuming only the bearings are bad?

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #14  
jleonard
You can see a 4200 split in this thread..
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...erating/428810-jd-4200-wont-go-forward-3.html

A couple fabricated stands for the rear, and couple with wheels for the front bolted up will work.. have ability to adjust up/down for alignment and a flat floor to work from.

Figure a dealer's shop will have to go through the same tear-down time as you, and prolly $150 an hour shop time, likely a $3000 dollar job. But would be best to talk to your dealer of shop mechanic to find out for sure.

For a service manual in .pdf format, contact member "joecdeere" with a PM and send him your email as he just might be able to get you a copy for the 4200. He has been very generous and helpful to members here, if he has the right manual available.

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #15  
You had not stated the size of the balls, so I was trying to guess what would cause a whine in every gear and range.
You should replace every gasket, o-ring, packing, rubber washer you disturb when you split. Your tractor may have sealant rather than gasket(s). Spend some time at JDparts.com I doubt you will have less than $100 in repairs.
Special equipment; main thing will be splitting stand, then you "might" need bearing puller, snap ring pliers, o-ring picks. I assume you have metric tools.

If you really wanted to do some "leg work" you could find the P/Ns for all the bearings and if your local JD dealer has them in stock so you can check the balls you found and see if they match any bearings.

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #18  
jleonardwv; Can it be done without any special equipment? You mentioned a fork lift in your 4300 rebuilt thread. Since I've never split one before said:
In splitting the tractor, it is nice, but not necessary to have another tractor or forklift to move the halves around. It is harder, but not impossible to do that with a cherry-picker engine lift and some helper(s). I have no helpers and do not use cherry-pickers since I have a tractor and an overhead hoist/trolley in my workshop.

I do not make any special dollies to support the split halves. I do use an hydraulic floor jack with wheels. It is important to have a level paved surface to work on, but plenty of folks do everything outside on the dirt. THAT makes it a lot tougher, IMO, and you add the cleanliness challenge.

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #19  
Finally have time to work on my 4200 with presumably bad ball bearings. I've gotten everything necessary taken off (almost) and need some advice on the split. I'm planning to split at the rear, since I assume I need only access the rear drive. (previous owner said JD dealer did the clutch)

Now, I'm planning to tightly wedge the front axle so it can't pivot. Support rear with jack stands. Use a floor jack to support the front half. Remove all bolts holding the halves together. Carefully roll the front forward and support it with jack stands. Anything I'm missing?

/ JD 4200 pinion replacement #20  
Sounds like you are almost ready. The project is easier if you remove anything in the way, including body panels, electrical wiring, etc.

I am splitting a Kubota B20 right now, and this time did not use a rolling floor jack or forklift. This time I am splitting inside the workshop and this tractor is like no other, so far. I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to use the front and rear wheels to guide the castings apart and together.

Now starts the wait for parts.