JD 4200

/ JD 4200 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've been torn between two tractors. The 4200 and the NH TC25D. The 25D has 475 hours, being used at the combine factory, so it still can be sold as new with the warranty. With a belly mount mower, and the 7308 loader, he's down to $16,500. The 4200 new was at $19K when I first got the rock-bottom price.
Now the JD guy calls up and drops his price to $18,600 for a 4200 with 60" belly mount mower and a 420 loader with a 61" HD bucket. I don't think I've ever been courted so much! :)
How's the prices look to you guys? BTW, these two dealerships are right next door to each other. :)

/ JD 4200 #2  
Stewart,
No doubt in my mind for a difference of 2k and 475 hours I'd go new. That 475 hours is worth alot more than 2k to me. Even though these tractors will go forever that's still a bit of hours. Plus you get the joy of owning new and to me if the price is that close I'd rather have new. Plus you start out with a fresh 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, so to speak.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ JD 4200 #3  
I'm with Cowboy doc. In my area (Nebraska), the JD would also have better resale. Lots of people prefer green paint. Even if it wasn't JD, I would still go with the newer unit. If the JD dealer called you with the lower price, you may be able to negogiate a few hundred more. Depending on how you use the tractor, many people may not put over 100-150 hrs a year on a tractor. 475 hours may be equivalent to 3-4 years of use.

/ JD 4200
A wise ole dealer once told me, their dealership considered 100 hrs of clock time on a “compact tractor” {not farm} to be equivalent of 1 year usage or 12,000 miles if it were a “automobile”…

Using that “formula”, the NH would have usage of 4 ¾ years, or 57,000 miles…/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ JD 4200 #5  
Just to give you some context so you will know where I'm coming from:)

Two of my current cars were purchased with about 105,000 miles on them, one now has 198,000 and the other 167,000. I just bought a 7 year old JD 870 with 535 hours on it and I haven't bought a new car since 1972. I'm a firm believer in letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit.

In your circumstance, I'd go with the new JD. $2,000 may be a lot of money. For me it isn't enough of a price difference to make me feel that the TC25D was a great deal. Were I you, I'd go back to the dealer with the NH to see if you could get another grand or two off his price. A $4000 difference would definately turn on my "cheap" gene.

Then again, $2000 will buy you a good quality implement or two, depending on what you need.

Matthew

/ JD 4200
What area of Nebraska are you in? I'm in Norfolk. :)
The JD dealer beat another JD dealer in Pender with his first price. He's now $400 less than that. Not sure if he'll go much lower.
Since the JD and NH dealers are side-by-side, I thought about having both of them put their tractors SxS also, so I could compare easier. It's difficult to keep driving back and forth, even if it's only next door. :>)
I'm leaning towards the JD (J.D. is actually my name, too), though the spousal unit is leaning towards the Boomer.

/ JD 4200
Hey...Green and Blue side by side in your driveway...

Kinda like His & Hers...
grin.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG