JD 51SV, rebadged Echo CS-510ELV disassembly

/ JD 51SV, rebadged Echo CS-510ELV disassembly #1  

clearchris

Tractor
Mahindra E350-DI
Hey guys. Found an old chainsaw in the tool shed left from gramps, a JD 51SV which is a rebadged Echo CS-510ELV. It has good compression, turns over nice with some starter fluid in the carb. BUT, the gas tank has a hole at the bottom, it pours the gas straight out. Of course, the gas tank is buried under the crankcase. Yeah, I know they don't make the fuel tank anymore, but I'm somewhat passable at plastic welding polypropylene tanks. Worst case, I can 3d print a splice and epoxy it back together. I promise pics of my final solution.

I'm usually pretty good with these diagrams, but I can't see a direct way of getting the tank out. Anyone have any ideas?

Parts diagram:

User manual:

Thanks!

JD51sv.jpg

Edit: I did some searching around for the fuel tank, even though I'm sure they stopped selling them years ago. I found some pics of the top assembly for a 500vl (similar but maybe not the same), on ebay and it looks like taking the top off is the way to go.

Last edited:
   / JD 51SV, rebadged Echo CS-510ELV disassembly
Well, I look apart more of the saw than I'd have liked to, and there were a few tricks, but it wasn't too bad. Chainsaw needed a good cleaning anyway, everything was caked with greasy sawdust. There was a fair sized split in the bottom of the tank near the seam. I plastic welded it with some HDPE rod, seems to be strong, I'm going to let it sit overnight with water to test before reassembling.

tank_hdpe_plastic_weld.jpg