JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps?

/ JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps? #1  

JohnButNotDeere

Tractor
JD 5820
Hello! My first post in this forum, hope this is the correct section for this type of post.
English is not my first language and I am far from a professional mechanic, so ill do my best to explain.

My uncle became ill about 2 years ago and as a result his farm was pretty much abandoned since then. We are now trying to repair his John Deere 5820 which was parked outside for 2 years. Tractor was working fine 2 years ago.
Main.jpg

We would like to get the tractor operational, it wont ignite currently. We have installed new battery, refilled oil, drained water from the system.
What should we do next? Dismantle the injectors maybe? Drain the diesel and refill? (Tank is half full)
Motor Left.jpg

I was actually able to ignite 1 time, but it died after about 2 seconds. The 20 attempts before and 20 attempts after was unsuccesful.
Any help is appreciated!

/ JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps? #2  
Guten Tag. Welcome.
It could be fuel gone bad from sitting and from moisture clogging fuel filter(s) or lines. Even bacteria that grows in fuel. So maybe drain the fuel lines and put in fresh fuel.
Next could be air in fuel lines from many cycles of air pressure/weather changes. Loosen each injector fuel line at the cylinder head about 1 or 2 turns and engage the starter. You want to see fuel squirting from each. Not air bubbles. When and if bubbles have stopped, tighten the injector lines 1 at a time. It may fire as you close each line and begin to fire and run rough.
Exhaust smoke from burned fuel is black. If white smoke, there is not enough compression to ignite the fuel. From either dry cylinders (oil has left the area) or from insufficient starting speed (battery voltage and/or poor battery cable connection(s) due to corrosion.
If you can move it, I often get them started and running by pushing the tractor on a roadway in first gear to get the engine spinning much faster than the starter can get done. If the fuel is good, and the oil gets back into the piston rings, the compression will certainly become high enough to make it start and run.
If you get it running, let us know what it took to do so. It helps maybe the next person with same trouble !

/ JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps?
Thanks for the reply @zzvyb6 !
  • I will empty the diesel tomorrow and refill with new. Should I drain with a hose or is there an easier way?
  • Ill also loosen injector fuel lines as described.
  • Maybe I can even get help to push it. Tires are low on air though, should probably pump them first.
Tractor has less than 2500 hours on it, would be a shame to not get it operational again.
I will report here again afterwards.

/ JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps? #4  
Certain transmissions should NOT be pulled or push started. Confirm it's OK to pull start BEFORE attempting.

/ JD 5820 doesnt start, need advice for troubleshooting steps?
Got it up and running today! :cool:(y)

@zzvyb6:
Loosen each injector fuel line at the cylinder head about 1 or 2 turns and engage the starter. You want to see fuel squirting from each. Not air bubbles. When and if bubbles have stopped, tighten the injector lines 1 at a time.
On the money! We drained the battery twice getting the air out though, Isnt there a better way? BTW, we did use starting aid fluid the first time it started.

We also drained&refilled diesel. Next on the list is:
  • Refill coolant
  • Refill hydraulic oil (i suppose)
  • Pump tires
  • Overall cleaning/rust removal
  • +probably 100 other things

I am so happy, thanks @zzvyb6!