JD 770A 2nd oil fill at injection pump

/ JD 770A 2nd oil fill at injection pump #1  

duggmann

Tractor
John Deere 770A
I'm changing the oil in my 770 and there is a 2nd fill port right in front of the injection pump. There's no mention of it in my Operator's Manual; there are pictures of it in relation to bleeding the pump and tightening hoses. No mention of it in fluid capacities. Just a cap (which says OIL on it), no dipstick for it. With the cap off, you can see a planetary gear; probably the drive for the pump? I'm assuming I put oil in it, but how much? Do I drain it first?

PXL_20220420_194740928.jpg
PXL_20220420_194839777.jpg
PXL_20220420_194857698.jpg

/ JD 770A 2nd oil fill at injection pump #2  
The Yanmar engine used in your tractor and many other applications has two fill caps and you can use whichever one is more convenient. They both fill the same sump and there is only one dipstick (Which is visible in your first picture, with the yellow loop handle.)

Sometimes the location of the engine (In a generator frame, water pump or excavator, utility vehicle or marine installation means that one or other fill port is more accessible than the other due to a bulkhead or air filter position, for example. Very thoughtful of the manufacturer.

Same often goes for Kubota in similar applications.

In summary - You only need to use the one fill port. Whichever is more convenient for you and the type of funnel/pourer you have available.

/ JD 770A 2nd oil fill at injection pump
Thanks for the quick response! I kinda had a feeling that's what it was, but figured I'd ask.

/ JD 770A 2nd oil fill at injection pump #4  
Welcome to TBN.