JD 820 3-Cyl Lift arm lever out of track

/ JD 820 3-Cyl Lift arm lever out of track #1  

ducknovacain

Tractor
JD 820
1973 JD 820 3-Cyl Utility tractor

The lever for the lift arms is out of alignment with the guide plate beside it. The handle just rests on the floorboard below the guide. If you pick the handle up to put it back on the guide, it raises the lift arms all the way up. What I mean is, is that the raise, neutral, and lower positions of the handle dont line up with the raise, neutral, and lower markings on the guide plate. RAISE is literally on the bottom edge of the guide, and NEUTRAL and LOWER are below that, hanging off in space.

As it sits, the lift arms go up and down great, theres just no way to set your height and have it hold there, since theres no resistance holding the lever in place.

All of the adjustment in the handle has been used already - its slid back as far as it will go. I removed the handle and turned the shaft by hand, and there is a detent I can feel at 45 degrees. This would line up perfectly with NEUTRAL on the guide plate, but thats not where neutral is. 45 degrees is well into RAISE territory.

Any ideas of what to try?

Last edited:
   / JD 820 3-Cyl Lift arm lever out of track #2  
   / JD 820 3-Cyl Lift arm lever out of track #3  
Guide pin(key 9 in beenthere's photo) was designed to be in slot in handle(key 1) utilizing the friction discs & spring washers to hold control handle(key 1) where set by hand.

My guess is cam follower(shaded outline) is broken or out of correct position in internal linkage(key 16) or spring(key 8) is loose/broken. Rockshaft housing will require R&R if my guess is correct.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-17 125006.png
    Annotation 2019-10-17 125006.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 139