Jinma 224, complete loss of steering.

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering. #1  

jbrukardt

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
My tractor has always had the steering go mushy unless the hydraulic fluid was completely full, and last night it went out completely.

I think i may have two issues. The first is the above, no steering control at all.

The second is the wheel itself spins freely, and can actually be lifted out of the steering column about 1 foot.

The fact that the steering used to work despite the wheel being loose leads me to believe i may have a bypassing steering cylinder, or a bad diverter valve (have a FEL on the tractor).

Any advice for what to chase down first?

edit: FEL and 3 point work just fine and have good pressure. Tires dont turn even if theyre off the ground. I had to drive the thing by disconnecting the steering cylinder, driving 10 feet, picking it up off the ground, manually turning the wheels with my hands, driving another 10 feet, and repeating until i got to where i needed to go. Was rather funny to be honest.

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering. #2  
Your symptoms sounds like a diverter/priority valve issue until you got to the part about the steering wheel lifting up. That makes it sound like the shaft has come disconnected from the steering gear box or has broken. Perhaps the shaft broke off inside the box. With the wheels off of the ground, you should be able to turn them by turning the steering wheel, even with the engine shut off. The steering wheel has no stop and will spin in either direction even after the front wheels have hit their stops. Not much help in the troubleshoot except don't let that surprise you as it is normal. There should be some resistance that you can feel when doing this.
I would start by removing the steering wheel and maybe remove the bolts that hold the steering column to the steering box to find out why the wheel can be pulled out that far.
Let us know what you find and we can go on from there if needed.
Good luck!

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering.
Your symptoms sounds like a diverter/priority valve issue until you got to the part about the steering wheel lifting up. That makes it sound like the shaft has come disconnected from the steering gear box or has broken. Perhaps the shaft broke off inside the box. With the wheels off of the ground, you should be able to turn them by turning the steering wheel, even with the engine shut off. The steering wheel has no stop and will spin in either direction even after the front wheels have hit their stops. Not much help in the troubleshoot except don't let that surprise you as it is normal. There should be some resistance that you can feel when doing this.
I would start by removing the steering wheel and maybe remove the bolts that hold the steering column to the steering box to find out why the wheel can be pulled out that far.
Let us know what you find and we can go on from there if needed.
Good luck!

This is helpful. Ive actualyl never been able to manually turn the wheels with the engine off. The shaft has always been loose, but used to work like 80% of the time when the engine was on.

Two questions

1) Is there a rebuild kit for the divider valve? Its out of stock everywhere. Looks like its part # "Flow Divider Valve FLD-6"

2) Disassembly of that steering column is a **** of a tricky thing. Do i have to tear apart the whole dash from the panel down through the gas tank to get to it?

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering. #4  
Don't know about a rebuild kit. I have only heard of one instance where that valve was giving trouble and all it needed was cleaning.
Getting the column apart is going to be a bit of a bugger. There are two hoses and two hard lines on the the "gear box"and minimal access to just about anything. That is why I would start at the top and get the steering wheel off. The pull on the shaft and see what happens. If that shaft has any movement more than bearing end play, you are going to have to go digging. I would attempt to get the 4 bolts that hold the column to the gear off first. It may or may not be possible without taking the dash and fuel tank off.
Do you have 4WD?

yes to 4wd.

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering. #6  
We have 25 of the FLD Diverter valves in stock ?? Not sure where you are looking . Sounds like the bearing went out on your steering column, if you remove the 4- bolts holding it on you will prob. find parts of the bearing

The no steering could be several things

A) Bad BZZ-80 Steering machine

B) Steering cylinder bypassing internally

C) Low on Fluid

I would start with repairing your steering column shaft, we have the replacement bearings, and if your shaft is bad we have new Columns

Give us a call or email

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company
979-865-4002

We have 25 of the FLD Diverter valves in stock ?? Not sure where you are looking . Sounds like the bearing went out on your steering column, if you remove the 4- bolts holding it on you will prob. find parts of the bearing

The no steering could be several things

A) Bad BZZ-80 Steering machine

B) Steering cylinder bypassing internally

C) Low on Fluid

I would start with repairing your steering column shaft, we have the replacement bearings, and if your shaft is bad we have new Columns

Give us a call or email

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company
979-865-4002

Thanks Tommy.

Well there it is, i dont get an out of stock message anymore when i add the FLD-6 to my cart.

I will check that steering column shaft first, thats quite the teardown job but i have to do it even if its just the bearing. Getting the internal column reattached properly is the first step

/ Jinma 224, complete loss of steering. #8  
You may have been on a different parts site, because we always keep these in stock, we have had other dealers calling us for them so they were out I think
That's the bearing that holds the column in, Not a real big job to remove the column and shaft, remove the steering wheel , take the 4- bolts loose where the column bolts to the Steering machine, it will push up so you can move it to the side of the steering box and push it out of the rubber gromment on the hood, replace the bearing and re-assemble it

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

You may have been on a different parts site, because we always keep these in stock, we have had other dealers calling us for them so they were out I think
That's the bearing that holds the column in, Not a real big job to remove the column and shaft, remove the steering wheel , take the 4- bolts loose where the column bolts to the Steering machine, it will push up so you can move it to the side of the steering box and push it out of the rubber gromment on the hood, replace the bearing and re-assemble it

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

the back two bolts of the column bolts are completely inaccessible on my machine without removing the gas tank and some other stuff. Perhaps someone assembled it wrong after a past repair. Theres no space to back out the bolts at all.

The more i look at it, the more i think someone assembled it wrong. The bracket "180YZ.40.014-2 ( Support Seat for Power Steering Column)" is OVER the steering column, like someone slid the steering column through it from underneath during assembly, then the bolts go though the steering column, through the bracket, and into the steering box.