Price Check John Deer vs. Kubota

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #11  
One thing I liked about the Deer is that it has 2 peddles for the HST. I tried the Kubota peddle and it felt uncomfortable when backing the tractor up. Maybe it was just me. As with most men, want more power - don't necessarily need it but want it. Also believe the two I am looking at weigh more than the L3940 I had which would have helped this winter with the snow.

The L3940 pedal has an extension at the top to the right side so it can be used like a 2 pedal system. The single rocking pedal is awkward for me too. Using this as a 2 pedal works fine for me. Philip.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #12  
Thanks for responding, TripleR. Both of my orange tractors have that older style single "treadle", but I've seen the updated models also. I'm like you, I guess, about twisting to see behind you. Seems the older I get, the harder it is to do things that require agility or flexibility.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #13  
The "treadle" has changed over time and while my BX2200 had a true treadle, my BX2660 has a "split treadle" with an open flat space in between and the L40 has another design. I find in twisting in the seat to hook up or for close mowing my foot angle makes it a little harder to hit the reverse portion and on occasion have just hooked my toe and lifted up on the forward pad.

The split treddle on my BX2660 is what I find very intuitive and natural. Liked it from the first test drive. Very hard to get wrong if looking backwards (or forwards). But that's why there are so many recomendations by many to see what feels right for you. Might just be that it is my first tractor and don't have a lot of experience (other than rental) with other set ups so I certainly don't have any negative comments about them.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #14  
The split treddle on my BX2660 is what I find very intuitive and natural. Liked it from the first test drive. Very hard to get wrong if looking backwards (or forwards). But that's why there are so many recommendations by many to see what feels right for you. Might just be that it is my first tractor and don't have a lot of experience (other than rental) with other set ups so I certainly don't have any negative comments about them.

I often tell the story of my father in law who upon getting his brand new John Deere 425 lawnmower putting it in ten feet of water when he missed the reverse pedal and hit the forward one. He always had John Deere mowers, but they were hand operated HST. He was not inexperienced having owned a gas company driving anything from a pickup to 18 wheel transport in addition to his tractors.

He got use to it after replacing just about everything ruined by the water and kept it for years; I still have it in addition to a John Deere 2305. I have used them for so many years, the color green triggers an automatic response in my right foot, so I have no problem with them.

As you mention, however, I find the setup on Kubota to be more intuitive; forward pedal=forward movement, back pedal=back.

Like grandad4, I have quite a few miles on my clock and catching it with my heel while twisting around is not as easy as it once was. Operating while facing forward, you can't beat it though in my opinion, but what one person likes another won't. My only "dislike" on a John Deere is left foot braking and some love it.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #15  
One thing that I like to do is keep things common, not all tactors built have the two petal system and brakes on the left is a minority of tractors sold, propably about ten percent of all sold tops. It keeps the learning curve down although with the hydro's many operators rarely or never use brakes other then for parking.

Two petal systems when things get old mean twice the adjustments as well as moving parts to wear out.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #16  
I really like the Kubota treadle. Once I learned to use it like two separate pedals it became very intuitive. I use the front portion of the pedal just like a standard accelerator pedal, while I use heel or toe for backing-up depending upon my seating position.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #17  
Have you considered since you stated only about 50 hr use a year perhaps keeping the 30k in the bank and hire out.
just a thought.

/ John Deer vs. Kubota #18  
I ended up with a Deere because they came in about 2k under Kubota with 0% financing. I liked the Kubota's BobCat compatible front loader more than the deere's quick-tach but not 2k more, the Kubota was quieter but had slightly less HP than the cheaper deere. Since you have owned two Kubota's and you are familair with them I would stay with them in the grand scheme of 30k is a couple thousand worth changing vendors, espicially when said vendor has been good to you.