John Deere 1050 brake replacement

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #1  

Steamer6

Tractor
John Deere 1050
I have just purchased a John Deere 1050 2wd.
The brake peddle has full travel but does not engage the brakes.
I am going to buy a brake kit from Hoye tractor parts.
Has any one done this job?
I have taken lots of cars apart but never a tractor. Don't what to bite off more than I can chew.
Thanks
Steam on!

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #2  
There's a few YT vids on this. Your JD1050 is really a Yanmar YM4300 in green paint. Do you have the service manual, TM1192? How about a parts manual? PM me for it. ;)

Ideally, the JD1050 will need support and a way to get the hefty heavy wheel off. that in itself is the biggest part of the job!

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement
There's a few YT vids on this. Your JD1050 is really a Yanmar YM4300 in green paint. Do you have the service manual, TM1192? How about a parts manual? PM me for it. ;)

Ideally, the JD1050 will need support and a way to get the hefty heavy wheel off. that in itself is the biggest part of the job!
Thanks bmaverick
I ordered a kit from Hoye. John deere wanted $1400
Didn't know about the YM4300.
The wheels don't look too bad. Ha Ha says someone who has never attempted it:rolleyes:
The service and parts manual would be greatly appreciated. Do you have the operators manual as well?
barrye@shaw.ca
thanks
Barry

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #4  
On a 950 it’s not necessary to pull the wheels to do the brakes. You probably don’t need brakes but just need to pull them and clean up the cams and adjust the linkage.

You may also have oil in the drums from leaking seals. That’s a pretty big job to fix. I’ve had good luck just cleaning things up with brake cleaning and putting back together. Sometimes the oil is a 30 year accumulation.

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #5  
I am curious about how your brake job came out, as I need to check mine on our 1050. It does look like it can be done w/o removing the wheels. My wheels are weighted, so like to avoid that if possible!

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #6  
Done it many times on a 950 I had. They would glaze up, the boss (shaft the shoes rest on) has two settings you can set. So take a good look at it. I did not have to remove the wheel.

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #7  
I owned a JD 1050 for over 20 years. The brake shoe assembly is fairly simple to access. Just follow the brake rods from the peddles towards the rear axle. These are dry brakes so you don't have to deal with any hydraulic fluid and a parts diagram is probably all you might need to do the job. My shoes had very little material left on the shoes so I purchased new brake liner material from McMaster-Carr and re-lined the shoes myself. You can take a look at some YouTube videos on this subject to see if you might be interested in taking this approach.

My JD 1050 was a very reliable machine and I had to make very few repairs during the 2,500 hours I owned the tractor. I sold the tractor earlier this year with 4,300 hours on the meter. The Yanmar engine was very dependable and I never had to add oil between changes.

/ John Deere 1050 brake replacement #8  
Thanks for the comments. I started the job this afternoon and almost finished it, just need a little fine tuning. It was fine doing the job without taking the wheels off, and I did do a complete disassembly and cleaning, and greasing the pivots. I was able to reverse the shoes, which in itself almost got me to spec. Then un-coupled the linkage and rotated the after pivot and now have the correct amount of play before engagement. Actually pretty simple, and was surprised at the quality of the system.
This has been a great tractor, and I'm only 9 years in, with about 2300 hours!
Thanks for the assistance.
EB