John Deere 2210 emits gray smoke, won't start

/ John Deere 2210 emits gray smoke, won't start #1  

BeaconWoods

Tractor
JD
I ran the 2210 VERY low on fuel because our local fuel delivery took quite a few days to get to me. Once they did, I fueled it up, along with all the other tractors, and drove it over to the storage building. On the way I heard a squealing sound and smelled an unusual burning smell. The alternator light came on at the same time. No surprise; I knew the fan belt was getting really bad. I drove it into the barn and shut down. Took off the sides, yep. The belt was in tatters and had popped off. Great excuse to jump on the Harley and head to my favorite parts store for a replacement. I get that in place and go to start it up. It cranked fine but instead of the usual almost instant start, it just cranked and cranked billowing out a major cloud of whitish gray smoke. It was trying to run and would go a few seconds after letting off the starter. What in the world??? Did running it so low on fuel allow whatever extra crud might be in the tank get into the pump and injector system? Did FS sell me some bad fuel? It was late so I came back to the house to think on it and consult Dr. Google. He didn't have anything to say on this exact problem. Lots of other ideas, though. Most involving more work than I have time for at the moment. So, I gave it lots of thought. It has been over heated a few times. But, as soon as the light came on (while mowing tall dry grass) I shut down, cleared the radiator screen and restarted within 30 seconds. And, that was last done over two years ago. BTW, it has only 679 hours. It has been on light duty the past few years since the rear PTO gave out. Usually plowing snow or pulling the water tank around the farm. So, I'm almost resigned that it must be the head gasket. I look at all the usual indicators. Oil level is fine and color is good. Coolant color and level are good. No bubbles in the radiator. What is going on here? I took off the air filter. It looked fine. I cracked each of the injector lines. All spit a bit of fuel out like they are supposed to. Checked the fuel filter - a little crud but nothing serious. It was acting like a gas engine with the choke stuck on (remember those?) Ok, once a mouse built a nest in the air filter of my 3720 which caused the air intake suction light to come on. I had already check the primary air filter. I looked again. It seemed fine. I took the air filter assembly off just because I was getting desperate. I cranked it with the air filter disconnected - the intake open to atmosphere. It lit right up! So, being the immodest type that I am, I gave a big suck on the end of the air filter assembly that attaches to the engine. I could hardly pull anything through. What? I popped it open again and found that the secondary air filter was pushed all the way in against the back wall of the filter housing. How did that happen? Vibration? Migration? Did I shove it in too far at the last check or change? Or when I had the housing off and apart to replace to install the new fan belt? I don't know. Anyway, the farmer (I'm the farmer's husband) came along about then wanted to use it to mow the blueberry field prior to the pick-your-own event scheduled for this afternoon. It made lots of blue smoke for a while but gradually cleared. Everybody is happy and the 2210 is once again breathing easy.

/ John Deere 2210 emits gray smoke, won't start #2  
Sounds fixed.. hope it stays that way..

/ John Deere 2210 emits gray smoke, won't start #3  
Keep us updated on your 2210.