John Deere 2240 starting issues

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #1  

petryss

Tractor
JD 2240, MF 5455, Allis Chalmers 5020, Cat 416 Series !!
There may be older treads about my problem but didn't see any. I have rebuilt the Cav injection pump, replaced the injectors, have plenty of fuel at the injectors when bleeding. even bled at injector pump. Turns over fine even smokes some at the stack but will not fire off. Any Suggestions.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #2  
Have you advanced hand throttle to 1/2 way position? Is kill cable pushed in? Are you positive pump is timed correctly to #1 cylinder?

Back when I owned a Ford 3000 that was difficult to bleed after changing fuel filter I would get disgusted after attempting to get engine started & attach a tow vehicle to the frt of the tractor. In about 5 ft of towing the 3000 the engine would be running.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #3  
You could run a compression check. Be sure you have good airflow to the intake manifold. Check Jim's suggestions above.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #4  
+1 on above suggestions and if it still doesn't start,stop throwing parts at it and have a pro check it out. One other thing,disconnect or loosen kill cable at pump and manually push lever to run position. Cable can kink and fail to push lever completly into run position.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues
You could run a compression check. Be sure you have good airflow to the intake manifold. Check Jim's suggestions above.

Thank you guys. The tractor was running fine initially and started to sputter out. I knew it shouldn't be low on fuel. I shut it down and started checking. I wasn't getting fuel thru the injector pump and the pump had been leaking after shutdown for some time. Since it is a 70's model I went ahead and changed the injectors and rebuilt the CAV pump since nothing had been done to it. After changing those parts out and not enough fuel, although a littlle at the injectors I pulled the glass filter off and it was nasty. I changed that out, had good fuel thru the filter and I took the line loose ant the injection pump and blew air back thru the lines to hoefully clean any trash out. hooked all back up, bled the pump and the injectors and it does puff some white smoke out but no fire-off. Since the tractor is at my son's house 20+ miles away, I will disconnect the shutoff cable and crack 3 injectors and open to half trottle. i will let you know how that goes.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #6  
Have you checked the return line? Could be clogged.

/ John Deere 2240 starting issues #7  
I'll ask again did you time IP to #1 engine cylinder??