John Deere 410B drive problem

/ John Deere 410B drive problem #1  

ML33567

Tractor
John Deere 410B
Hi guys. I have an 84 JD 410B. The problem I am having is that it wants to pull forward in forward and neutral and there is no reverse. I have found some bad linkage that controls the flow to the convertor on the control valve to the reverser. I replaced the broken parts and still have the same problem. When I have the floor boards out and can see the drive shaft it will drive in forward or neutral and will stop turning when I go into reverse but there is no power to go into reverse and turn the wheels. It will turn the wheels in forward or neutral. I pulled the control valve off and the gasket was in good shape and there was no visible scarring in either of the spool valves but I didnt remove them from the housing. I am leaning toward there being some sort of problem in the reverser but dont want to go into that if someone here knows something else I should check first. I do have ALL the books on this tractor. Any ideas? Thanks

/ John Deere 410B drive problem #2  
Since you have the books, I ASSUME Tech Manual, see if it has pressure tests for the reverse.
I am guessing leaking reverse lines or clutch.

/ John Deere 410B drive problem
Thank you for your response. I found the problem. The forward clutch pack in the reverser has failed and it drives in forward whether in neutral or forward. It stops driving when I go to reverse because the reverse is working fine.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 410B drive problem
Well I was wrong. I found the problem in the brake pedal control valve. The middle pedal was hanging up and had something to do with the reverse. I freed up the pedal so it would go to the top of its travel and now have forward and reverse. Heck of a lot easier than rebuilding the reverser and cheaper too. I have been using it for a week now and it works great.