John Deere 455 Problem

/ John Deere 455 Problem #1  

sbking

Tractor
John Deere 455
I have a John Deere 455 with about 1900hrs on it when I go to start it I get lights but I do not hear the normal sound (like a pump or something). The starter just clicks but the engine does not fire. Any troubleshooting ideas? I am not the most mechanically inclined person when it comes to diesels so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

/ John Deere 455 Problem #2  
Could be as simple as a battery, or cable/connection problem. Have you tried charging or jumpstarting?

/ John Deere 455 Problem #3  
Is your starter turning over when you try to start it? Sounds like it's not. I'd first suspect ground connection, or maybe a faulty relay. Check that you have voltage to the starter when you try to start. Work back from there.

Also, make sure the PTO isn't engaged and brake is set.

/ John Deere 455 Problem #4  
Turn on your lights when you hit the key. If you lights dim when you hit the key your starter is drawing current; i.e., the starter is most likely the problem.
Here is a suggestion for you that everyone reading it will laugh at. I had an old timer tell me that the battery should have a ground cable go directly to the starter motor. Any like everyone reading this I laughed at him. I had starting problems on a Case 580E and on a 1956 John Deere 420 positive 6 volt ground system. Since I had no other alternatives I ran a ground cable directly to the starter motors at the mounting bolts. I cleaned the bolts and grounding area meticulously. Both machines started like they were still in the showroom. Everyone thinks the frame is a good ground but for some reason a direct ground to the starter motor makes life a lot easier for the starter motor.

/ John Deere 455 Problem #5  
Turn on your lights when you hit the key. If you lights dim when you hit the key your starter is drawing current; i.e., the starter is most likely the problem.
Here is a suggestion for you that everyone reading it will laugh at. I had an old timer tell me that the battery should have a ground cable go directly to the starter motor. Any like everyone reading this I laughed at him. I had starting problems on a Case 580E and on a 1956 John Deere 420 positive 6 volt ground system. Since I had no other alternatives I ran a ground cable directly to the starter motors at the mounting bolts. I cleaned the bolts and grounding area meticulously. Both machines started like they were still in the showroom. Everyone thinks the frame is a good ground but for some reason a direct ground to the starter motor makes life a lot easier for the starter motor.

/ John Deere 455 Problem #6  
I won't laugh about the ground direct to the starter.

My old machines are all set up that way and it helps a lot!

/ John Deere 455 Problem #7  
I just finished fixing a running/starting problem on my 955: One of which was identical to your: the battery could happily light the headlamps, but the starter was only good for clicks. Replaced the 6 year old battery with a new one from Wallyworld for about $75. Starts great now. Of course that didn't stop me from replacing the fuel lines, the fuel strainer tube, the battery cable(positive side) as well as removing and cleaning out/flushing the fuel tank and the separator and rehabbing the starter.:cool:
@garry: the only thing to laugh about your post was that it posted twice...:laughing: My other over 20 year old vehicle is a fibreglass British 1970 sportscar: now that is an exercise in bad grounds everywhere! Lord Lucas: the prince of darkness: three lamp settings for everything: dim, flicker and nothing.