John Deere 5420 wont start

/ John Deere 5420 wont start #1  

Septemberwheat

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5420
Hi, I have a John Deere 5420 2003 non cab tractor. She’s been sitting for about two months, she would start and run two months ago. I’ve had the battery on a trickle charger during that time, the battery is less than three months old. When I connect the battery, and try to start her, she won’t turn over. I have the battery connected properly, I have the clutch in and it’s in neutral. She cranks and cranks but won’t turn over. I think I saw a little smoke come out of the starter, but I can’t say for sure. Any ideas on where to start?
All the best and thanks in advance! 😃
Matt

/ John Deere 5420 wont start #2  
Matt, check your messages

/ John Deere 5420 wont start #3  
Matt you said "She cranks and cranks but won’t turn over"
cranking is turning the engine over. What your having a
problem with is the engine will not fire/run or start! Sounds
like you are not getting any fuel to the injectors so check your
fuel line filters etc from the gas tank to the injectors

willy

/ John Deere 5420 wont start
Thank you for the help so far. So I’m used to Texas a bit, even though I’m up here in Washington state. I think my engine was really cold. It’s been in the high 30’s at night. I just tried starting the tractor cold... 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve read my manual and it says I should engage my electric heating element... sadly, I don’t think I have one... now I’m going to do a little research on this.

Willy, thanks on the fuel line tip, I’m going to make sure my tank is full...

Attachments

• D24D8E40-6137-4EBA-9154-8919DEECFC79.jpeg
    D24D8E40-6137-4EBA-9154-8919DEECFC79.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
   / John Deere 5420 wont start #5  
cold... 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve read my manual and it says I should engage my electric heating element... sadly, I don’t think I have one... now I’m going to do a little research on this.

To activate the heating element on your 5420: Press key in and hold for air intake heater operation. Refer to Cold Weather Starting procedure in your operator's manual.

/ John Deere 5420 wont start #6  
Have you checked for a blown fuse? When ign switch is turned to on position can you hear a click at fuel inj pump?

/ John Deere 5420 wont start #7  
Then again you could put these pads on to warm
up your engine!

willy