John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake

/ John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
   / John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake #2  
JD 705 rake built by Vermeer for JD is the same as a Vermeer R23A. At least it has the ""later style reel pipe brgs"" & larger castor wheels. In '92 I purchased a New Vermeer R23 same as JD model 700 rake. After several yrs of use it became a task to regularly replace older style reel pipe brgs. I also got tired of manually moving rake that had smaller caster tires from transport to field(raking) position every time I needed to change fields. I changed my R23 to operate baskets from a pto hyd pump so I could operate on a smaller lower hyd output tractor. Hyd's plugged into tractor hyd system causes hyd oil to get very HOT.

/ John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake
JD 705 rake built by Vermeer for JD is the same as a Vermeer R23A. At least it has the ""later style reel pipe brgs"" & larger castor wheels. In '92 I purchased a New Vermeer R23 same as JD model 700 rake. After several yrs of use it became a task to regularly replace older style reel pipe brgs. I also got tired of manually moving rake that had smaller caster tires from transport to field(raking) position every time I needed to change fields. I changed my R23 to operate baskets from a pto hyd pump so I could operate on a smaller lower hyd output tractor. Hyd's plugged into tractor hyd system causes hyd oil to get very HOT.

Jim,
First- thanks for that bit of actual experience.
I had a single JD hydraulic rake way back. Seemed like a very nicely built rake. Had dolly wheels on front and the hydraulic oil got very hot in it after long use, too.

So when the 705 is folded, the operator walks the wings open & closed? I say this because we are often in road transport mode between fields. I may pass on this idea and lean towards the wheel rake for the sole reason that we can rake with only one wing in tight area. I do not believe we can rake with only one wing of the JD 705, but I am still digging up info. Not a big fan of the hot hydraulic fluid, either.

/ John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake #4  
You can rake with only one side of JD 705 extended out but both baskets will operate when hyd pressure is applied. Later Model Vermeer R2300 & R2800 have capability to move baskets(wings) in/out hydraulically. I would not trade my H&S Hi-cap rake for a R23 or R23A & probably wouldn't trade for newer oil heating rakes either.

/ John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake
I need to get a twin rake of some sort during the off season here.
Twin rotary rakes are out. New and used, they are financially out of reach. A clean used twin with a transport cart is now $25,000! New are $35,000! That’s insane.

I will probably go with a wheel rake, but that JD 705 gave me pause to think.

The Vermeer 2300/2800 rakes you mentioned…..can one arm be turned off hydraulically so you just rake with one arm? I don’t like the oil heating aspect.

/ John Deere 705 twin rollbar rake #6  
For the oil heating I wonder if a small cooler and 12V fan on the rake itself would be in order?