John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue #1  

ScreaminChickn

Tractor
John Deere x534
I have a 2013 x534 with about 150 hours on it, and I am experiencing an issue with the rear steering. If I try to back up, the rear left wheel turns all the way in one direction and hits the frame. If I drive forward across a slope, the wheel will automatically point down hill. If it is parked with the steering pointing straight ahead, I can grab the rear left wheel and turn it all the way in one direction. There was some play in ball joint 17 in the attached image, so I replaced it, but it made no difference. I'm obviously missing something. Has anyone else run into this? The issue is not with the power steering as all of that works like it should, as does the rear right tire steering. Part 26 is not bent, but there is enough play that it allows the wheel to be turned easily all the way in one direction by hand while the other when stays straight. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for any suggestions you have about this.

Attachments

• MP40328________UN18OCT07.jpg
    MP40328________UN18OCT07.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 798
   / John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue #2  
:welcome: to TBN

Yep, I'd think you are missing something.. but don't know what it is..

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue #3  
I would suggest getting it up high enough that you can get underneath and look at all the linkage connections. Something has broke or come loose and you just have to figure out what. On my sons X749 he found some loose bolts on bracket up under the floor boards. Couldn't see anything with the mower deck on and wheels on the ground though.

good luck.

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue
Thanks for the replies. I plan to take the deck off this week to replace the blades, so hopefully I can get a better look under there. All of the steering related linkage appears to be up top where I can see it, but one never knows...

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue #5  
I have a 2013 x534 with about 150 hours on it, and I am experiencing an issue with the rear steering. If I try to back up, the rear left wheel turns all the way in one direction and hits the frame. If I drive forward across a slope, the wheel will automatically point down hill. If it is parked with the steering pointing straight ahead, I can grab the rear left wheel and turn it all the way in one direction. There was some play in ball joint 17 in the attached image, so I replaced it, but it made no difference. I'm obviously missing something. Has anyone else run into this? The issue is not with the power steering as all of that works like it should, as does the rear right tire steering. Part 26 is not bent, but there is enough play that it allows the wheel to be turned easily all the way in one direction by hand while the other when stays straight. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for any suggestions you have about this.
Hi
I Have same problem - can you tell me how you fixed the problem.

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue #6  
It has been a few years since this post by screaming chickn. You may have a better chance of contacting him using the (PM) private message feature. Just click on the blue "screaming chickn" and then you can send him a msg.

Welcome to TBN

Richard

/ John Deere x534 4 wheel steering issue
I couldn't tell by looking at it, but part 27 in the above diagram was bent. There are two versions of it depending on your serial number. The later serial numbers have a thicker steel bracket that doesn't bend as easily. I am pretty hard on my mower and have bent three of these so far. If you had access to some tools that could bend 1/2 steel, you may be able to bend it back. I tried and didn't have any luck getting it right, so I just bought new ones. They're about $150.