Johne Deere 6400 Farm Tractor Starter-Solenoid Question

/ Johne Deere 6400 Farm Tractor Starter-Solenoid Question #1  

landrand

Bronze Member
Tractor
Internation 674, John Deer 6400, Kubota BX2670, Ford New Holland 655D
I have a John Deere 6400 farm tractor and am having an issue in starting it. When I turn the ignition key, I only get a somewhat of a clicking sound and the starter will only somewhat engage for a brief moment. I tested the battery and the battery is good. I took off the battery cables and wire brushed all ends.

I'm getting ready to test the voltages around the starter circuit, but I have a question. In the pics attached, there's a bosch solenoid mounted to the starter. In addition, there's another type of solendoid or relay that is mounted on the right end of the starter. What is this item? I shorted the two longer bolts/terminals on and it will cause the starter to engage and turn the engine over. Since shorting the two terminals will cause the engine to turn over, does that indicate my battery cables or good? I'm a bit new to troubleshooting a starter circuit, so any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• DSC02299.JPG
    DSC02299.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 289
   / Johne Deere 6400 Farm Tractor Starter-Solenoid Question #2  
I don't see the relay you are talking about. The battery and cable are good. Shorting the two large terminals bypasses the starter solenoid, which is probably your problem. When you apply power to the small lead on the solenoid will it turn over or will it click and/or engage then stop? The solenoid has a large plunger that has a contact plate when engaged connects the two large terminals together. When this plate makes contact, it arcs a little every time until the plate/contacts wear out, thus causing intermittent starting.

/ Johne Deere 6400 Farm Tractor Starter-Solenoid Question #3  
   / Johne Deere 6400 Farm Tractor Starter-Solenoid Question #5  
The extra "relay" is at the far end of the starter at the right of the picture.
Okay, I see the relay. Thanks Ruffdog. Link to 6400 shows alot too. Good post!