Keep the NH or switch to a MF?

/ Keep the NH or switch to a MF? #11  
tough call,

I have a Massey 124 and its a fabulous baler, bough it when my NH grenaded a few yrs ago and would cost more to fix than it was worth

That said, peace of mind knowing your current baler never missed a beat, it a big factor

You don't need a dealer. I had a MF124 baler for about 7 years until I sold my place. Never had any problems with it. The SureTie knotters are simpler than NH and JD knotters and are easy to work on and adjust. Since you are familiar with NH balers, that MF124 will be a snap, especially since you said it's in cherry condition.

You can get parts from AGCO, which owns MF now. Just be sure to get the operator, service and parts manuals and you'll be able to maintain and repair that 124 yourself.

Good luck

/ Keep the NH or switch to a MF? #12  
A few years ago I posted about the woes of bringing back from the scrap pile a old NH 269 twine baler, I succeeded, but dropped $2000 into the ol' girl. I had to weld up some holes in the chamber and added right over the top of the existing flloor a 10ga. sheet I had to do some custom slotting to go around the bottom dogs. Later I sold it for $1800 but got a couple years use out of it. The replacement was a Hesston 4550 small square inline baler. The parts for the newer baler I'm told are available, but expensive. As an example, $20 apiece for the replacement twine knife blades (the ones that look like utility knife blades). I'd probably just reline and weld up what needed on the chamber and keep what you got. I threw away a lot of money on baling and then leased out the field for someone else to worry with. bjr

/ Keep the NH or switch to a MF? #13  
Our neighbour claims to have put 100,000+ bales through a 124 and has not done a thing to it. He is an older gentleman who is pretty mechanically inclined and says the 124 is rock solid in terms of build quality. He is even after me to get one. Parts are not a problem here.