Pat's Easy Change Keeping Hitch Arms Level

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level #1  

WorkPorter

Since installing Pat's Easy Change, I've had problems keeping my rear mower level. There's often a huge difference, such that one side of the mower will be digging into the ground while the other is a foot off the ground.

I re-adjusted the hooks several times thinking one of them might not be installed precisely parallel to the arm. But the requirement can't be that subtle that I'm still off. I also have reset the tractor's (jd 2305) implement side to side leveler a number of times. But it winds up quickly out of alignment again.

I don't really get what would make for an appropriate setting of the sway turnbuckle adjustment and the manual just refers me to the implement manual (Frontier), which doesn't even mention it. The only other possibility that I can think of would be the need to insert spacers on the hitch pins. There remains about an inch of slack for Pat's hooks to slide back and forth on. But an earlier thread indicated that some slide was normal and I've not found any common tractor part (at Tractor Supply) for playing this role, so I've tended to dismiss this as the cause of the problem.

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level #2  
Sounds like you have 2 concerns: 1) slack with Pat's hooks and 2) trouble keeping the hitch arms level.

Not sure about Pat's hooks since I don't use them. If you are talking about side to side movement of the arms then you need to make the proper adjustment on your tractor.

To keep the hitch arms level, remove the implement then drive your tractor onto a level concrete pad. Put a pipe between both Pat's hooks then put a torpedo level on the pipe. Adjust the hitch arms until they are level and you should be good to go.

If I'm completely off track, maybe you could include a picture that shows the problem.

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level
Hmmm...I wonder if I was leveling with the mower attached. Not really sure. But I'll try again. So you think the slack is a serious issue? What about finding spacers of various lengths---are they generally available and I'm just not seeing them? Thanks.
Bob

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level #4  
I also have reset the tractor's (jd 2305) implement side to side leveler a number of times. But it winds up quickly out of alignment again.
By side to side leveler, are you referring to part number 8 on this diagram?

I don't really get what would make for an appropriate setting of the sway turnbuckle adjustment and the manual just refers me to the implement manual (Frontier), which doesn't even mention it.

If by sway turnbuckle, you are referring to part number 16 on the above diagram, I normally try to tighten both of them enough that they dont let the attachment sway from side to side.

One other idea, look at the lower link arms (number 15 in the above diagram), do the you have the lift arms (parts 8 and 12) in the same holes on the lower lift arm? Many tractors have multiple holes that the lift arms can go into and having the lift arms in different holes could cause the mower to be level at one height and way out of wack at another.

Aaron Z

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level #5  
Assuming your draft links (the "hitch arms") are leveled (and I suggest removing the Pat's system to do this), that would leave the Pat's as the variable.
When you installed the Pat's system, did you install both spacer plates (the little 1" x 3/4" plate about 1/8th thick and has a small pin pressed in). This spacer goes under the draft link. Also, do you have the "U" shaped rods installed and tightened?

I'm going to guess your adjustable draft link (right side when facing the tractor from behind) is set wrong. That's a pretty coarse thread and it doesn't take many turns to throw the implement level out.
I don't use a bubble level and I do level with the implement attached. I just sight along a straight horizontal section relative to the rear axle (ROPS works too). In fact, I just had to adjust the rotary cutter for side to side leveling last Sunday (26 Sept).

Last edited:
   / Keeping Hitch Arms Level #6  
The method that I have been using to level the arms is to measure the length of the sidelinks from pin center to pin center and make sure that the adjustable one is the same length of the fixed one. Assuming that your lower arms aren't bent, this should establish the level point. Good Luck.

/ Keeping Hitch Arms Level
Many thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. The immediate problem turned out to be a missing pin for the uppermost connection of the upper draft link (on the non-adjustable side). For how long the arm has been unsecured and what caused it to break off I of course don't know. One possible cause: I've been hitching the draft links to the inside of the mower frame, which appeared to require one of Pat's hooks to link at a slight angle to the mower's hitch pin. A half-dozen re-installs of the hooks never succeeded in getting a clean perpendicular link, making attachment and detachment somewhat awkward.

The reason for hitching to the inside (suggested by the Frontier manual as an alternative for some tractors) was that getting the draft arms to stretch to the outside position was as the dealer said "a real bear" and I found to be approaching the impossible. Now I'm realizing that's what the sway turnbuckle controls are for---to adjust the maximum width the arms will stretch! Right? Shouldn't the dealer have known that?

On removing the upper arm to take to Tractor Supply and ensure I get the right replacement pin I noticed there's a small ledge that the head of the pin should rest on when inserted. That ledge was partially stripped (maybe 1/5 of its total size gone) I imagine when the pin was sheared off. Is that missing material providing support important enough for me to replace the whole arm?

It goes without saying this novice would be totally lost without you guys. Really, thanks an awful lot.

Bob